I'm not sure why we don't use this more often:
You can store equations in lists.
"{randInt(1,10→L1

Every time you call L1, it will give you a different value. It's like an excel spreadsheet :) This works for anything though:
"{randInt(A,B→L1

Now, when you set A and B, calling L1 will generate a value in between A and B. Or you could use this for other functions:
"{10^int(log(Ans→L1

How handy could that be? :P
I didn't even know you could do that....
Then again I didn't really program for the 84 after 10th grade
Roguebantha wrote:
Every time you call L1, it will give you a different value. It's like an excel spreadsheet Smile
That's exactly how I see it. If you're working with a lot of data, you can have L1 and L2 hold the data values and L3 be an equation list that does all the calculations based on L1 and L2. Then all you would have to do is update the data lists and L3 already has your answer! If it's simple enough, it saves you from writing and running a program.

Haven't found a terribly useful way to use it in games though.
Yep! I use them all the time like this for AP Chem/Stat -- it's quite useful to input some reaction rates or sample data in L1/L2 and have L3/L4 spit out the needed results.
hmmm. THat could be handy.
This is rather spectacular >.> I wonder if KermM has this in his book? I knew that Lists could be manipulated to do this because it is mentioned in the handbook and various other places by TI, but I never saw how to do it (I never realised that I needed a bracket to start the string).
Yeah, this feature is explicitly explained in many of the calc's manuals. As for the bracket, it is only needed if the formula doesn't natively output a list. Something like "L1+5' doesn't need it but the randint example does because randInt outputs a real and not a list.

Another good use of this is with seq(.

That said, u, v, and w or even Y1-Y10 would be better used for the randint example because there is no reason to output as a list in this case.
I guess lists do make a good alternative for equations if you somehow run through all 34 of them, or if you want to avoid messing with people's data (since you can name lists whatever you want).
Xeda112358 wrote:
This is rather spectacular >.> I wonder if KermM has this in his book? I knew that Lists could be manipulated to do this because it is mentioned in the handbook and various other places by TI, but I never saw how to do it (I never realised that I needed a bracket to start the string).
I didn't mention it because as noted in this topic, there are fewer real-world program/game uses of being able to map lists to lists (or numbers to numbers) than you might hope. Yes, this is very cool in that it can remove the need for a small calculation subprogram, but in all practicality, it doesn't get used much.
"{inString("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ",Ans→L₁

Get those quotes in, and have fun with that :P

Put "A in Ans, L₁ equals {1}. Put "B in, L₁ equals {2}. Hehehehehe!!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours