Im developing a Compression routine for the TI-84 + calcs, as a school ARP(Applied Research Project) and any help would be very useful.

Project details:

1. As a lossless compression routine, this project must be able to un-compress on the Calculator.

2. This project has to be Implementable into other projects.
Take a look at this

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~albert/Dev/pucrunch/

A fellow coder has made a decompression routine for it. Maybe it will help with ideas and inspiration ^^
That seems like a pretty in depth article, thanks for the pointer
Welcome to Cemetech, LuxenD! Ironically, another member of ours, Weregoose, used to have that very same avatar. Feel free to Introduce Yourself when you get a chance. Are you looking to implement this in TI-BASIC or z80 ASM?
Z80 ASM, definently. about the Avatar, i just got it from my school's Moodle (online classes in my area), so it could be anyones. ill replace it when i get photoshop running
LuxenD wrote:
Z80 ASM, definently. about the Avatar, i just got it from my school's Moodle (online classes in my area), so it could be anyones. ill replace it when i get photoshop running
Nifty. I'm not sure what your existing z80 ASM experience is like, so we'll be happy to answer any and all questions you may have. In the meantime, I recommend "Learn z80 ASM in 28 Days" for a tutorial and the Doors CS SDK for an assembler/linker. They're both linked in this article I just wrote:

Back-to-School Guide 2012 Part 3: Learn to Program
If this program is well enough, do you think you would implement it in the next Doors CS design?
LuxenD wrote:
If this program is well enough, do you think you would implement it in the next Doors CS design?
As a way to be able to load compressed programs? It depends how big the code is, as there's only about 200 bytes free in Doors CS's 48KB binary. It's packed to the brim with libraries and features! I would certainly be open to the idea, though.
Kerm, you asked about doing this in Basic or Asm, and i want to know how in the world you would be able to compress programs in Basic?

even hybrid Basic, i cant figure out how that would be a valid suggestion.
LuxenD wrote:
Kerm, you asked about doing this in Basic or Asm, and i want to know how in the world you would be able to compress programs in Basic?

even hybrid Basic, i cant figure out how that would be a valid suggestion.
Doors CS is not written in BASIC, of course. I was asking for you to clarify what you meant as what would merit this algorithm being included in Doors CS. As a form of compression for programs or data, or as a routine exposed to users? As an exposed routine, it's way too specialized.
i am so confused; any chance someone will simplify what Kerm just said?
LuxenD wrote:
i am so confused; any chance someone will simplify what Kerm just said?
LuxenD wrote:
Implement it as what?
you explained that it likely wouldnt fit, with only 200 bytes. but i was thinking the compression could be made for doorsCS7 programs, and you might put it into the shell. but never mind about that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours