Kllrnohj wrote:
That's because you're half blind.

IPS is worth it, especially for $5-10. Go for the Asus if you want something that looks great - unless you just want big, then get the LG.
Except that it's $850 versus $280, not just a $5-$10 difference. Razz But yes, I am half-blind.
KermMartian wrote:
Except that it's $850 versus $280, not just a $5-$10 difference. Razz But yes, I am half-blind.

What? No it isn't. It was a $5 difference between the two he linked. Maybe you're more than half-blind?

And 24" IPS monitors are only $370, not $850.
In this case, yes, but in general it is a much greater difference. I was looking at 27" monitors in Microcenter, and they had an LG and an HP one for $270-$280, both TN panels, and an IPS panel from a brand I currently forget for $850.
Apple's massive 10-bit IPS panel Cinema Displays are the only ones I know of that go for that price.

Either way a decent 8-bit one from Dell or any other maker are now only a bit more expensive than an equivalent TN panel.
TheStorm wrote:
Apple's massive 10-bit IPS panel Cinema Displays are the only ones I know of that go for that price.

Apple doesn't have a 10-bit IPS panel in any of their displays. 10-bit panels are very rare, and not well supported.

Also, Apple's Cinema Display panels are the same LG panels that Dell uses in their UltraSharp line - same exact thing, just Dell's are far more useful as they have these things called "ports".
Kllrnohj wrote:
TheStorm wrote:

Apple doesn't have a 10-bit IPS panel in any of their displays. 10-bit panels are very rare, and not well supported.

Also, Apple's Cinema Display panels are the same LG panels that Dell uses in their UltraSharp line - same exact thing, just Dell's are far more useful as they have these things called "ports".

Dell has two UltraSharp lines though the standard ones and the Premier color models. If I am reading the stats on the Premier color versions correctly they appear to be 10-bit panels.

I assumed the Apple displays were 10-bit due to the pricing and and other specs' glad to hear they are even more over priced than originally thought.
TheStorm wrote:
Dell has two UltraSharp lines though the standard ones and the Premier color models. If I am reading the stats on the Premier color versions correctly they appear to be 10-bit panels.

I assumed the Apple displays were 10-bit due to the pricing and and other specs' glad to hear they are even more over priced than originally thought.

Dell's Premier Color models aren't 10-bit either Smile

Apple's displays aren't overpriced per se. The 27" LED Cinema and the U2711 both use basically the same panel, only the Dell has a slightly newer revision (LG LM270WQ1 for the Apple, LM270WQ2 for the Dell).

The difference is really in the number of ports and features. Dell has monitor controls, a better internal processor it looks like, and of course a huge host of inputs, way better stand, and a USB hub.
Kllrnohj wrote:
TheStorm wrote:

Dell's Premier Color models aren't 10-bit either Smile

Apple's displays aren't overpriced per se. The 27" LED Cinema and the U2711 both use basically the same panel, only the Dell has a slightly newer revision (LG LM270WQ1 for the Apple, LM270WQ2 for the Dell).

The difference is really in the number of ports and features. Dell has monitor controls, a better internal processor it looks like, and of course a huge host of inputs, way better stand, and a USB hub.

I know its hijacking the thread at this point but what then is the difference with the PremierColor models that warrants the price jack, the main thing I see is a few extra inputs?
TheStorm wrote:
I know its hijacking the thread at this point but what then is the difference with the PremierColor models that warrants the price jack, the main thing I see is a few extra inputs?

What price jack? I'm not seeing any cost to PremierColor on the UltraSharp line - either the size has it or it doesn't, and the cost increases as the monitor size increases, not by the presence of PremierColor.

EDIT: Dell might be branding wide gamut as PremierColor - in which case, you actually don't want it. I have the U2410, and wide gamut is more a PIA than anything since it isn't well supported. I ended up just leaving them in sRGB mode.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours