I got an email today from some person I have never heard of. The only reason I read it was because gmail has been virtually flawless at sending all spam to the spam folder, and this was sitting in my inbox. So I opened it, and the message was in German. I translated it and this is what I got:

Quote:
Good day. Very more geehter my name is JOY GOOMAN and I is the director/conductor of the Corporate Affairs Committee in the South African reserve bank in South Africa. At present I am in the Netherlands to an advanced training. I contact you concerning the transfer of a very large sum of money of the account of a deceased. I know the fact that a transaction of this order of magnitude will excite first with each concern and I insure you that about everything worries. Due to the urgency of the affair I decided to contact you. It concerns the following: One of my colleagues is responsible for the account of Gerald Welsh, which died together with its wife in October with an aircraft crash. It was together with other passengers on board a Egyptian airline 990.(

I thought it was kinda weird...What do you guys think Question
I recieve them on a weekly basis, and they get deleted. It is just another way for someone to get your personal data...
I get a ton of those, although they have been declining somewhat lately.
Probably has something to do with the fact that it was in German. BTW, I advise you to not use Gmail. The TOS is very creepy. Evil or Very Mad
Jonathan_Pezzino wrote:
Probably has something to do with the fact that it was in German. BTW, I advise you to not use Gmail. The TOS is very creepy. Evil or Very Mad

i advise YOU to use gmail - it is the best a online mail service. Period. (only thing better would be running your own POP3 mail server)
Jonathan_Pezzino wrote:

What is a TOS? And I have found Gmail to be the best email I can find. There's tons of space, and I even have a gmail drive Smile
I believe the TOS is the terms of service, wich probably like a EULA (end user liscense aggrement) isn't really going to hold up in a court.
http://gmail-is-too-creepy.com/

While I'm not one to believe in conspiracy theories, this group seems to be reasonable enough that I think what they're saying has some weight. Even if they aren't 100% right, why take the chance that they are when there are so many other email options? Do you REALLY need 2-3 GB for email?
I certainly don't...
Especially since Yahoo has 1GB.
The vast majority of my mail is spam (about 200 messages a day there), which don't count towards the limit, so I only am using 1% of my storage.
Jonathan_Pezzino wrote:
Especially since Yahoo has 1GB.

yahoo sends spam to you themselves, and that interface is just HORRIBLE
I never use the interface. Thunderbird is much easier. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours