souvik1997 wrote:
For the computer section, I voted for gCn as well. I forgot to vote in the TI-89 category, though. :/
I also did not vote for the 68k category. I'm not that familiar with the 68k entries for this year, so I my vote wouldn't have been sufficiently informed.
The results are in!
http://www.ticalc.org/community/awards/poty/2011.html
Kerm won two POTYs! Gossamer, and gCn! Very well done, though, it was unsurprising to me, and quite deserved.
Congratulations! Definitely well deserved! I'm surprised that Zedd received as many votes as it did with it being so unfinished compared to Gossamer. It's also a good thing I didn't vote for Zedd, or else there would have been a tie for first! What does TiCalc do in those scenarios anyway? Do they run a secondary tie breaking poll or award POTY to two different programs?
For a tie, an extra tiebreaking poll is done. To my knowledge, this only happened once so far, in 2005.

And congratulations, Kerm. Smile I was thinking after the 84+ poll, “Kerm is going to love this”, and yet after that, a second program of his won after the PC poll was over.
Woo! Congrats, Kerm! Great job on the two POTYs! I feel you really do deserve the double awards Very Happy

This is a most excellent cause to break out the chocolate cigars.

Congrats Kerm! Well-deserved! Smile

Also congrats even more for managing to win 2 POTYs in one year. Smile

Regarding the other categories, this is the first time a BASIC game wins a POTY Shock
Travis wrote:
For a tie, an extra tiebreaking poll is done. To my knowledge, this only happened once so far, in 2005.

And congratulations, Kerm. Smile I was thinking after the 84+ poll, “Kerm is going to love this”, and yet after that, a second program of his won after the PC poll was over.
Thanks Travis, I appreciate the sentiment. Smile I'm extremely happy to have won two POTYs the first time I won any at all!

Qazz, DJ_O, Builder, Ashbad, Souvik, thanks very much! Congrats to all the other winners and a tip of the hat to the other contestants that did not win.
Also I didn't realize when I posted the above that not only you won 2 POTYs, but in one of your POTY win, you were competing directly with another of your own program (Obliterate), where some of your votes were split. That's even more of a feat. I myself never ever went close to achieve such thing before (in 2004 I had 2 entries and in 2005 3).
Yeah, it's a tough situation. I tried not to influence people's votes too much as far as which of mine to vote for, so I'm interested to see that Gossamer naturally was more POTY-worthy than Obliterate. I think, as Ashbad said, that people saw it as demonstrative of the whole Doors CS / CALCnet / globalCALCnet system and a technical breakthrough, whereas a tank game is very cool, and new in that it is networked, but not new as a game. Smile
Yeah, I will agree with Kerm here. The entire "calculator internet" thing is just a tad more POTY-worthy than a 2 player game (of course, said game can be played over gCn Very Happy)

gCn++

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours