I found an IMG of Windows 1.01 on the Internet; it's against Cemetech rules to post it. I guess if you really want it, I could email it to you.

I ran the IMG on a VM, and it works!
Here's a video of it:
It's cooler to install FreeDOS and install Windows on top of that. Wink That looks nice, though I don't see how it could be useful for anything except playing old games.
Can I get that IMG?
I, personally, am highly disappointed when I notice that Notepad today seems to resemble almost completely that old version in Windows 1.01. While it is likely more efficient for most who don't own Office to use Wordpad, which HAS been updated, Microsoft has disappointed me with Notepad. If somebody wants a decent source code editor, which is almost the only purpose for Notepad anymore, he or she is forced to download a third-party program, such as Notepad++ or SciTE. Because Notepad's primary purpose in this time period is to allow composition of source code, I feel Microsoft should completely re-write Notepad's code and make it more friendly for programmers' usage.

How did I transform this video into a rant about Notepad? Confused
I found an image online, and I'm having some trouble using it with VirtualBox (I think that to solve it, however, I'll just need to convert the image from .img to .iso instead of .img to .vdi). Finding an image on google is actually painful, but looking on youtube (just search "windows 1 virtualbox" or the like) yields videos with tons of links to images.

technomonkey76 wrote:
I, personally, am highly disappointed when I notice that Notepad today seems to resemble almost completely that old version in Windows 1.01. While it is likely more efficient for most who don't own Office to use Wordpad, which HAS been updated, Microsoft has disappointed me with Notepad. If somebody wants a decent source code editor, which is almost the only purpose for Notepad anymore, he or she is forced to download a third-party program, such as Notepad++ or SciTE. Because Notepad's primary purpose in this time period is to allow composition of source code, I feel Microsoft should completely re-write Notepad's code and make it more friendly for programmers' usage.

I don't think that using Notepad as a "Source Editor" was ever microsoft's idea Razz it remains as a very lightweight, extraordinarily simplistic, all-around useful text/data viewer. Very few people compared to the masses use it for source code editing, and in fact, most people don't even use it anymore. I really doubt it has been updated at all since early NT (or earlier) versions of Windows for content, but rather just for compatibility with newer systems. It's just a small extra thing they add into the package for the heck of it, I'm sure.

EDIT: In case you're interested, I've typed all of my reports for school up in Notepad for almost the past 3 years Wink so it is still useful for non-coding related things, for many.
Vim4lyfe
allynfolksjr wrote:
Vim4lyfe

lul u stoopid, Notepad++ is bet.rar

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours