For some random reason, I tried to use Telnet.

None of these commands worked:

Code:
o irc.mzima.net 6667

This one just fails immediately.

Code:
o google.com 80

This one takes a while then fails.
Any idea why?
Both work for me. With the Google one, try sending a GET request - type the following (though you'll need to do it blind):

Code:
GET / HTTP/1.1

and press Enter twice (each part of the request is on its own line followed by a blank line to indicate the end of the request). For IRC, try a simple command like NICK <nickname>.

For more fun, try connecting to discworld.imaginary.com or towel.blinkenlights.nl.

The Windows Telnet client is pretty rudimentary; PuTTY may be a more pleasant piece of software to use.
For the first one, I was able to connect. The second one expects a request from the client. Try typing "GET" without the quotations.

Edit: ninja'd Razz
What OS? Try "telnet ifarchive.org 21" I recommend reading the "I Sit In Siberia" tutorial.
Windows. I don't think we've gotten Spyro to switch, yet Smile
I like Windows 7.
Windows suxx, use Linux! Now that I've gotten that out of me... I'll try to be useful. Post a listing of your telnet session here.
seana11 wrote:
Windows suxx, use Linux! Now that I've gotten that out of me... I'll try to be useful. Post a listing of your telnet session here.
No OS war trolling in a topic that's not about OSes. Razz Spyro, a log would indeed be helpful. Right-click in your command window, choose Mark, hold left-click to select an area, release, and press right-click to copy.
http://www.telnet.org/htm/howto.htm

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours