I am starting a new project called Trapped. It is going to be a rpg programmed all in basic. All of it is programmed in text sprites and will look better.
Hope you like the teaser.

This is just an example not any real game play is shown.
Any suggestion/comments? Please write.

Just to clarify this is hopefully for the zcontest contest.
Nice looking menu. I think that you should probably change the name, since "Trapped!" is the name of the Block Dude sequel.
Very nice menu, indeed; great job Zeke! Smile I say you should keep the name if you want to; primarily because I wouldn't like to see that animation in the top of the screen with the title go away.

EDIT: and the other graphics are really cool too Smile
Yeah I guess I will have to change the name. Any suggestions? Remember it is an RPG. If you have a good name and I will use it, then you will be listed in the credits. Bty the credits above are just an example possibly will be kept. thanx for the kind words. Ashbad: I can change the name easily and still have the animations.

No Suggestions Sad
Okay new screenshot. It is of changing maps. Any idea how I can display a map faster, while using text sprites and matrices?
Any name suggestions?

If viewed using Google Chrome, it is real speed.
Actually, I thought that was a fairly acceptable amount of time to render a map, personally. Many implementations of text-sprites do things in a manner much slower, so I'd say you're fine. However, if you still want to have some help with speeding things up, perhaps post some code up and we can give suggestions for optimization/restructuring? Smile
The only thing I can really suggest to make it faster is by optimizing the hell out of the code. Um...other than that all I could suggest is using lists maybe instead since calling list elements is a little faster than a matrix (I think anyways, I could be wrong). Wouldn't be as easy but not hard either.

Edit:
Ashbad is right though, the speed is pretty good. But ya, if you want post some code or PM to people (if you don't want it getting out everywhere).
Meishe91 wrote:
The only thing I can really suggest to make it faster is by optimizing the hell out of the code. Um...other than that all I could suggest is using lists maybe instead since calling list elements is a little faster than a matrix (I think anyways, I could be wrong). Wouldn't be as easy but not hard either.

I'd actually personally suggest the use of strings -- they're 9 times more compact per element in best packing scenarios (which is the usual case), operations on them are generally fast, etc.
Ashbad wrote:
Meishe91 wrote:

I'd actually personally suggest the use of strings -- they're 9 times more compact per element in best packing scenarios (which is the usual case), operations on them are generally fast, etc.

True, but if you want consistent speed you want to avoid them since they get slower the farther you get in to one which can slow things down.
No one wants to suggest Hybrid BASIC tilemaps via something like Doors CS's xLIB/Celtic support? That would be a super-fast option.
KermMartian wrote:
No one wants to suggest Hybrid BASIC tilemaps via something like Doors CS's xLIB/Celtic support? That would be a super-fast option.

Well he kinda said it was going to be made in all TI-BASIC so I assumed him meant pure. That's why I didn't suggest other things.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours