Alot of you might not know this, but my internet's been shut off for a long time, so along with my lack of interest in TI-technology anymore, coming to Cemetech isn't the top of my list when go to Ingles for my wifi. But anyway, that leads me to the reason I'm here now.

Last night, I got EXTREMELY BORED. As a sort of test to myself, I wanted to see if I could completely reverse engineer the format of a GameBoy Color rom...and I succeeded. With nothing more than a hex editor, VisualBoyAdvance's disassembler, and 12 hours of useless time, figured out how to create GBC games from scratch and put together this guide.

You probably thinking "we don't care...", but I just thought if anyone would find it useful or entertaining, it would be a person who already knows Z80.

Click here to download the documentation and see for yourself. It includes a bootcode copy for your first GBC program and an emulator so Kerm won't flip out about having to go to sites that distribute illegal rom downloads to get one ;P
Cool! Is it possible to burn the games you made to blank cartridges?
You'd have to build the software and know what type of cart you're using. The rom internal game information (or IGI is what I call it for short) tells how much ROM/RAM the game has, BATT, TIMER, RUMBLE, pretty much everything. So you'd have to know the hardware and choose the right header.

EDIT:
Oh, and I forgot to mention, the only thing I couldn't figure out was the algorithm for the checksum, and the GBC might not play the game without that being correct.
sorry for the double post, but thought it was neccessary since this is a big update on this matter. When I logged off after creating this topic, I created a linker that takes the output of brass or tasm and converts it into a gbc game. I was gonna post it sooner, but as I said before, I have little access to the internet. If you're using the defaults, there's no difference in creating a GBC program than a TI one except that SP starts at $0150:

Code:
.org $0150

Start_of_Game:
    ; [ GAME CODE HERE]

There's an example of the HL - counter test program in the template folder.

I included the source code to the linker as proof that I did make it myself.
GBCSDK

Just so there's no confusion, my other cybername is SoulofDeity or SoD for short. You can go to ZeldaUniverse, ZeldaFD, or My Youtube and send an email if you don't believe me.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours