According to this scientists found a substance (called Neutrinos) that can travel faster than light! If you don't think that it is serious enough: In the (serious) newspaper were I live it was also in. What do you guys think of it?
Well, we've known about neutrinos for a long time, I think the revelation is that this particular flavor of neutrino appears to travel faster than light. However, I'm not convinced, especially since the fraction of the speed of light that it seems to travel faster than light itself is so small, and since they used things like GPS to calculate the distance between the transmitter and receiver, leading me to worry a lot about compounding sources of error.
I read somewhere that the arms of some galaxies have been observed moving faster than light, can anyone verify this?
Did Einstein know/study Quantum Physics? (Excuse me for my ignorance if the answer is obvious)

Because AFAIK his theories don't take in account quantum physics?
Lucas W wrote:
Did Einstein know/study Quantum Physics? (Excuse me for my ignorance if the answer is obvious)

Quantum Physics is the stuff Einstein couldn't figure out, and which today's scientists are just starting to scratch the surface of.
DShiznit wrote:
I read somewhere that the arms of some galaxies have been observed moving faster than light, can anyone verify this?
I learned at school that the arms of the galaxys are just moving faster than It should when you calculate it.
xkcd's take on it

Sorunome wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
I learned at school that the arms of the galaxys are just moving faster than It should when you calculate it.

Dark matter. Duh
DShiznit wrote:
You're probably confusing this with the galaxy rotation problem, in which galaxies, near the edges, have been observed to rotate faster than it seems they should based on the evident mass (s Sorunome noted). This is a reason to suggest the existence of "dark matter".

Lucas W wrote:

Relativity and QM are generally incompatible, but that's not to say either is wrong- each is remarkably accurate in the gravitational (relativity) and quantum (QM) domains, respectively.
Einstein was not a fan of the uncertainty in QM, well summarized in the well-known quote (paraphrased), "God does not play dice with the universe."

If anybody is interested in something of a whirlwind review of modern physics, I found The Fabric of the Cosmos to be a pretty good read.

As far as the actual topic here goes, neutrinos are indeed fairly well-known. Experimental facilities such as Super-Kamiokande (a quite impressive facility, in a Japanese salt mine) have proven very enlightening, but there is still a lot we don't know about neutrinos. As far as this experimental result goes, it's intriguing, but simply stating "ZOMG EINSTEIN WAS WRONG" as some of these news outlets are (basically) saying is just wrong.
The BBC have an appropriately cautious report, I think.
DShiznit wrote:

No, this is exactly what special relativity prevents. If a ship traveling at 0.6c fires a proton torpedo with a velocity of 0.8c (as measured from on board the ship), someone measuring the velocity of the torpedo from a stationary lab frame will not measure the torpedo as traveling at 0.6c+0.8c = 1.4c. Instead it will measure them as traveling at 1.4c / (1 + 0.6c*0.8c / c^2) = 0.95c

Tari wrote:
Lucas W wrote:

Relativity and QM are generally incompatible, but that's not to say either is wrong- each is remarkably accurate in the gravitational (relativity) and quantum (QM) domains, respectively.
Einstein was not a fan of the uncertainty in QM, well summarized in the well-known quote (paraphrased), "God does not play dice with the universe."

Not incompatible so much as we don't understand the way in which they are compatible. In other words, we haven't found a suitably general theory that recovers both relativity and quantum mechanics in the suitable limits. M-Theory and LQG are both attempts in this direction.

Quote:
As far as this experimental result goes, it's intriguing, but simply stating "ZOMG EINSTEIN WAS WRONG" as some of these news outlets are (basically) saying is just wrong.

QFT.

And none of these articles have suitably addressed the mathematical treatment of tachyons and their place in relativity. In fact, if neutrinos turned out to be tachyonic, it wouldn't violate relativity so much as quantum field theory, in which tachyonic fields decay very rapidly.

[edit]
also, SN 1987A.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours