The RPG could have basic things, like: movement, map loading, events, and then the graphics part that would be rewritten a lot.
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/364/36409.html

There is the basics for screen movement, going from one section to another, and detection of items and places to send you to other areas?
tifreak8x wrote:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/364/36409.html

There is the basics for screen movement, going from one section to another, and detection of items and places to send you to other areas?
I'll have to look at that more closely later. Is it in your tutorials section? I've been referring to that somewhat heavily to see if I'm missing concepts.
The basics of the string hit detection I think, but beyond that, no. It has a full fledged tutorial in the zip file though.
Also, there should be heavy use of the Stat Variables (or whatever u, v, and w are).
I think that a very small minority of people actually have a legitimate need to know asm
Granted, I'm sure all the members of this site can handle and enjoy asm, but it's so low-level that most entry level programmers would get lost very quickly.
On the other hand, learning TI-BASIC as a first language is relatively easy. The commands make sense, the syntax is easy to understand, and making errors doesn't destroy anything.
Peredur, welcome to Cemetech! It's weird to see someone with that name after having myself been Peredur in Minecraft for several months. Very Happy Anyway, I agree with you, but would you think it prudent, after thoroughly introducing BASIC, commands, techniques, problem solving techniques, and optimization and debugging skills, to at least introduce two or three sections/chapters demonstrating ASM to motivate people to possibly explore ASM further on their own and here?
*bump* Here's another question for you guys: What kind of "advanced BASIC concepts" would be good to cover? So far I've thought of / had suggested:

1) Text Sprites
2) Scroll homescreen maps
3) List compression
Oooh, there should be a part that covers list manipulation with seq() and the other list commands. String manipulation would be nice too.
souvik1997 wrote:
Oooh, there should be a part that covers list manipulation with seq() and the other list commands. String manipulation would be nice too.
That's planned to be covered in a section about data structures, like matrices, lists, and strings. Smile
Perhaps high score saving and efficient ways to save strings in lists.
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* Here's another question for you guys: What kind of "advanced BASIC concepts" would be good to cover? So far I've thought of / had suggested:

1) Text Sprites
2) Scroll homescreen maps
3) List compression

Perhaps working with multiple objects whose containing stats are list based, and for example have them be enemies who all need to move a certain way each time the main loop is run.
I was thinking about mentioning what the 1337 BASIC Guide calls "scalars as objects", where real or complex numbers are used, and various things encoded in the sign, integer, and fractional parts of numbers. Is that what you mean, Ashbad?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours