http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44071800

A brother of a soldier had sent a wireless toy truck with a video camera attached to it to scan for bombs under vehicles back in 07. Just recently, that toy truck managed to save the lives of 6 soldiers when they sent the toy truck ahead of them and it got caught up in some trip wire, that was attached to an estimated 500lbs of explosives.

I wonder if the military might start employing a bit more of these in the future?
Wait, they've only just now begun to employ RC-XDs? WTF armed forces?
Nice Find tifreak. That's pretty cool. Oddly enough i have the same rc truck in that picture, just minus the camera Smile
DShiznit wrote:
Wait, they've only just now begun to employ RC-XDs? WTF armed forces?

Actually, it was just the brother that was using it, and that guy had lent it to a group that went out on patrol, they are the ones that got saved.

And yeah, you'd think they'd be using them a lot more. :/
On other military/government dumb stuff, once NASA decided to spend a million dollars to see how to shoot an egg up in the air and recover it safely. Model rocketeers had been doing the exact same thing for over 20 years. Just shows you how dumb the government is when it comes to utilizing existing civilian technology.

Here's another one: http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/cruise.shtml
woah, that is pretty interesting, I wonder if they will start using toy planes for bird's eye views too, it would be much harder to identify by the enemy.
seana11 wrote:
On other military/government dumb stuff, once NASA decided to spend a million dollars to see how to shoot an egg up in the air and recover it safely. Model rocketeers had been doing the exact same thing for over 20 years. Just shows you how dumb the government is when it comes to utilizing existing civilian technology.

Here's another one: http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/cruise.shtml

Quote:
Today, compact, high quality, high accuracy GPS receivers are readily available for just a few hundred dollars. The inclusion of an easily used computer interface in many of these units makes them well suited for use in a low-cost cruise missile (LCCM).

I stopped reading right there. Commercial GPS's, by law, have to be inaccurate by a certain variance, for just this reason.
DShiznit wrote:
Quote:
Today, compact, high quality, high accuracy GPS receivers are readily available for just a few hundred dollars. The inclusion of an easily used computer interface in many of these units makes them well suited for use in a low-cost cruise missile (LCCM).

I stopped reading right there. Commercial GPS's, by law, have to be inaccurate by a certain variance, for just this reason.

Think of it this way: I am a homegrown terrorist who has somehow gotten hold of some anthrax. I build a cruise missile, and set it for times square. I launch it on New-Year's Eve. It misses by one block. Even so, it kills a million people, and renders the area uninhabitable for months.

The point in this thread is that the military should be doing this. They have GPSs accurate to the foot.
seana11 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Quote:

Think of it this way: I am a homegrown terrorist who has somehow gotten hold of some anthrax. I build a cruise missile, and set it for times square. I launch it on New-Year's Eve. It misses by one block. Even so, it kills a million people, and renders the area uninhabitable for months.

The point in this thread is that the military should be doing this. They have GPSs accurate to the foot.

The military *does* do this. They just don't rely on second-tier off-the-shelf hardware when trying to be precise enough to hit their very small targets while keeping the civilian casualties to a minimum.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours