KermMartian wrote:
Oh yeah, absolutely. PHP is a lot heavier of a language.

I didn't know languages had weight Razz

I think what you mean is that PHP's interpreter is just slower. http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/u32q/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=php&lang2=python

CPython is faster and has smaller code size - straight up win-win right there.
Yeah, so... The last thing we worked on with this was getting password protected files working. We've got an idea that we are going to work with, I think. So now it is just a matter of time to get it to work right Smile As of now, though, it compiles programs and gives you source that works. I think we are going to work on some default headers people can use with their source to make it easier. I forget if Souvik included a link, but if he has, it will probably change a little later.
_player1537 wrote:
Yeah, so... The last thing we worked on with this was getting password protected files working. We've got an idea that we are going to work with, I think. So now it is just a matter of time to get it to work right Smile

Uh, why? And what do you even mean by "password protected files"?
We were trying to make sure people wouldn't try to overwrite other peoples' programs.
As in, it would keep your files on the server and then you could give someone a link to the file, and they would have to put the right password in to open the file. That way you could compile your projects and not have people steal your source code. Or is that a pointless idea, even for just practice?
_player1537 wrote:
As in, it would keep your files on the server and then you could give someone a link to the file, and they would have to put the right password in to open the file. That way you could compile your projects and not have people steal your source code. Or is that a pointless idea, even for just practice?
You should have people have different accounts. Or give people a hash that uniquely identifies the files they've uploaded, or something along those lines.
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
the trick with that is finding a free web host with Python.

http://code.google.com/appengine/

code.google.com/appengine/ wrote:
Pricing that makes sense: Each application costs just $8 per user, per month up to a maximum of $1000 a month. Pay only for what you use.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Java would probably be the fastest, though Python would be way more fun to write.

Hehe, I have fond memories of you insisting that Python was superior to Java in speed.
I hope you sandboxed the assembler heavily; Brass is not designed for use in this manner at all.

(Even the worst assembler written in PHP would likely be faster than Brass, which was horribly written).
benryves wrote:
I hope you sandboxed the assembler heavily; Brass is not designed for use in this manner at all.

(Even the worst assembler written in PHP would likely be faster than Brass, which was horribly written).
I seriously doubt that based on my experiences with your excellent software, Ben. Smile Although I do agree that sandboxing is important with any such software being run with arbitrary input from the interwebz.
Ben's probably right - Brass has a very long start-up time by way of the .NET runtime. With a big project like Doors this is reasonably amortized, but for small projects it's absurd.

SPASM isn't a paragon of clean coding, but it is *much* faster than Brass.
elfprince13 wrote:
Ben's probably right - Brass has a very long start-up time by way of the .NET runtime.

As nice as it may be to blame that on .NET, it's quite clearly a problem with the shoddiness of the parser in Brass - the larger the project, the slower it becomes. (Other fun bugs include infinitely recursive macro expansion; try #define foo foo then invoke "foo"). SPASM is a far better piece of software.
Well, I'm still happy enough with it, and I have yet to find any fatal glitches that make Doors CS not build properly. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours