Hey there guys, I recently started getting back into learning Japanese (yes, again, if you remember from before my extended absence) and while trying to learn all of both the basic Japanese alphabets (called Hiragana and Katakana), I figured I'd try and make a little program to help me out. Then beyond that, I figured I'd make a little challenge out of it.

I want to make a program that helps the user learn either Hiragana or Katakana, by showing them the character (possibly even how the character would be written, by showing a short animation showing the strokes made by your writing utensil) then the program asking which character it is, in English letters.

A few more features that could be added to the program would be something like a "cheat sheet," showing all the characters in (English) alphabetical order, options to choose either Hiragana or Katakana, percent accuracy, (if on 84+) total and average times, and anything else you can think of.

I will be submitting my own program as well, but also have a few other things I'll be working on in the meanwhile, so I may not be the first to submit.

If you want to submit, just post your code below. The only requirement I can think of at the moment, is that each Japanese character be legible, and distinguishable from the others, so preferably larger characters.

Google has plenty of images of each character set, and as for actually how to write them, and which way which pen-stroke goes, and in which order, lessons 3 through 12 seem to cover it well enough, for at least Hiragana. Still searching for something as good as this for Katakana.

I hope you guys want to participate, thanks in advance!

P.S. Just wanted to throw this out there: although I'm learning myself, and will almost definitely use this program, it's not just for me, and I hope people will put these in the various TI program archives for others to use, as well as myself. I'm not asking others to do the work for me, just to have a challenge to see who can make the best one. Thanks!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours