Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
Well now, some friends and I need a private place to test out mods and maps we make quickly and easily. So, I thought I'd put my linux-based website server to good use. Is it possible to host a dedicated server on a website? I have access cPanel, FTP, SQL, and the works.
I doubt it? You'll probably at least need shell access, which is something I don't see listed.
Why not just get a VPS server?
qazz42 wrote:
Why not just get a VPS server?


Money. I have a server that works, and I don't have any money to spare. Plus, my ISP blocks some of the ports to host a game here.
You can't host UT2004 on shared hosting, heck you'd need a rather beffy VPS to do it.
Why not host a game or run a Dedicated Server from UT2004 then start UT2004 and join.

Another option could be a Listen Server, where your session in the game, when you leave it quits. Dedicated will run in the background, two instances of UT running at the same time.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Why not host a game or run a Dedicated Server from UT2004 then start UT2004 and join.

Another option could be a Listen Server, where your session in the game, when you leave it quits. Dedicated will run in the background, two instances of UT running at the same time.


ISP blocks a necessary port.
I'd bet it just your router and not your ISP.
Port forwarding! I think..
TheStorm wrote:
I'd bet it just your router and not your ISP.

Already thought of that, I opened the ports, it denies connection. I already talked to them, and they block Port 42292.
Then your stuck, there is no way a shared host will let you use it to host a game server.
TheStorm wrote:
Then your stuck, there is no way a shared host will let you use it to host a game server.
Thanks for the help anyways.
There are many companies that will let you host a gameserver by the slots you want on it. 8 slot UT 2004 servers were as low as 7 USD a month last I saw. Which was a few months ago
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Well now, some friends and I need a private place to test out mods and maps we make quickly and easily. So, I thought I'd put my linux-based website server to good use. Is it possible to host a dedicated server on a website? I have access cPanel, FTP, SQL, and the works.
I was going to suggest that you use the Cemetech UT server, but if you're testing mods, that'll work less well. s people said, a webserver isn't the right solution. Smile
If I knew what you guys budget was I might could talk to some of my friends in the hosting business into giving you a fairly hefty VPS for about 35 a month.
That sounds like a lot of money compared with webserving, but that's actually a decent deal for VPSes, depending on what the specs are like.
KermMartian wrote:
That sounds like a lot of money compared with webserving, but that's actually a decent deal for VPSes, depending on what the specs are like.


2.8Ghz dedicated CPU share
4GB dedicated RAM
6.5GB Burstable
2TB Bandwidth @ 100Mb/s

No control Panel (gotta get your own cPanel if you want it)
root access (obviously)
Impressive! Anyway, EpicFail, why are you and your friends still not playing on the Cemetech server for some of your matches and inviting us to join you? Sad
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement