http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

This is an incredible Linux build that I just put on my Flash drive and promptyly moved over to my 30GB portable HD. It claims 50MB, but it you want to run it under QEmu from windows, allot 120MB or more for the installation. The install package contains everything you might need for a basic shell: the shell itself, two graphical- and one text-based browsers, an image editor, an office suite, a media player, telnet, FTP, PDF reader, and of course an iconned, mouse-driven GUI. Check it out:

That looks kinda cool, I will have to check it out. Smile
I think it's awesome how you can boot it from within WinNN
so wait, I put this on my USB drive, boot into Windows, then I can boot into Linux on the USB, sweet!
Indeed. Only 117.3 MB!
man, my 512mb USB drive will be ful soon (blockland, DSL, GIMP, firefos, NVu, Sunbird) what else can it take?
Hehe...I've long since filled mine, now I shunt stuff liek this onto my 30gb portable HD.
How about Macs?
There must be a QEmu type prog for MacOS...
Speaking of Linux, my computer is back Smile

If you want to know, I have 3 OSs
1: WIN2K Pro (for my MCP class)
2: WINXP Pro SP2 (Normal Use)
3: Fedora (playing around with Linux)
Also, the WiFi driver should work in Linux, but I haven't fully tested it yet.
Word. So we'll see you on Blockland then? Smile
So I installed it...neat, but overall pretty useless. There's not really much sense in your USB device having its own operating system to start with (except in some extreme circumstances), but if it did, this would probably not be very high on the list of OS's to install. It's just too barebones and nonfunctional. That aside, I think it's amazing that I can actually run an operating system on my 128 MB jumpdrive. Very Happy
Exactly. It's the coolness factor way, way over the userfulness factor.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours