When you died, the map information (like its name, the tileset, the enemies that you might encounter there, the NPCs and warp spots) was copied over correctly from your last restore point, but the map itself wasn't. So basically, if you died in an area that wasn't the same as your last restore point, the map would appear to mess up (a lot) XD
squidgetx wrote:
When you died, the map information (like its name, the tileset, the enemies that you might encounter there, the NPCs and warp spots) was copied over correctly from your last restore point, but the map itself wasn't. So basically, if you died in an area that wasn't the same as your last restore point, the map would appear to mess up (a lot) XD
Ah, I've run across things like that with my own projects before. Sad Bummer, but glad you were able to find it and track it down.
All right, update I suppose.

I've fixed (hopefully) all the bugs in the engine. Also, I've really beefed up the power of my map editor which will greatly speed up the process of entering all the data I need to enter. Smile
Neat! This is an on-calc editor, correct? What kinds of things does it handle now that it didn't previously?
Basically before I had to go through many annoying steps that involved pieces of paper and wear and tear on my flash chip. Now I can simply point and click (press 2nd) on tiles to link maps together and select NPC convos. Renaming and adding areas, editing the enemies present, as well as changing their sizes is now very easy. Additionally I merged the tile editor in the same program, so I can do that as well very easily, in addition to some new features I added to it, like recalling other tiles into the current one for easier editing and fake masking Very Happy
Sounds like great work there, squidget! That sounds nifty enough to possible deserve being distributed as a base for other map editors, perhaps? If you happen to have some screenshots somewhere, I'd be quite interested.
Perhaps, although it's structured very specially for my engine. Although I'm sure it would serve as a great base (and a great modding tool for anyone who would want to hack/make their own versions of the game, as many do with Pokemon.)

Screenies:
Very impressive! Surely that grayscale 12x12 sprite editor alone would be worthwhile. Smile
Oooh, that looks really nice Very Happy I agree that a 12x12 grayscale editor is helpful for things other than this Smile
New title screen Surprised

I like the title screen, but something about that fire just doesn't seem right. I guess its because it makes it a little difficult to see what it is. Other than that good job.
I love the transition from the title screen to the game, very nice work!
Agreed on the awesome transition. However, I'm with lafferjm about the ingame tile sprites; they're a bit hard to make out from that brief view in the screenshot.
Wait, lafferjm, are you talking about this ingame tile sprites? Or the title screen? Also, moar random screenshots:
I believe he was talking about the ingame tile sprites. Nice screenies,.
Agreed with the previously mentioned "hard to discern tile sprites from character" statement. I think you should try Merth's method of putting a white pixel around the outline.
Mergh, the problem there is that there's no space to put the outline...The char is 12x16, and I don't want to change those dimensions to add a white pixel in the 17th row...Is it really that distracting? The character stays in the middle of the screen all the time anyway :p
It is pretty distracting :/ Perhaps you could try just putting the border around the head (the hardest to discern from the rest of the scene)
_player1537 wrote:
It is pretty distracting :/ Perhaps you could try just putting the border around the head (the hardest to discern from the rest of the scene)
I agree, I think that that would help quite a bit. Sorry to burden you, squidget. Sad

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours