Platformer

Last weekend, when my Internet went out, I decided to work on a small physics demo. From what I knew in Axe about splitting the velocity and location into numbers in 8.8 format, I was able to get something that I thought looked good. I moved on to make it have a tilemapper (non-smooth scrolling) and the ability to land on platforms and jump off of walls. At that point, it strongly reminded me of a game online (and one that Kerm was working on). I then moved to get coins working and started on getting locks and doors working. Currently that is what is holding me up.

Current features:
- Simple physics
- Wall jumping
- Coin collection
- Tilemaps

A note about tilemaps and overall size of each room (or puzzle, which I'd like it to be): the tiles are 4x4 and there are 24x16 of them.  The data is stored as half bytes, so I have 16 different tiles I can use. Currently I am using one for full black, another for full white, and one more for a coin. Everything else is fair game Smile. Also, I have two maps I keep in ram, one for collisions and another for display. Not the best in terms of memory, but it works really nicely with the speed. 

I showed ParkerR how to create tilemaps, so if anyone else wants me to post how to do that, I will. Here's an image from a few versions ago

Ideas, questions, comments, insults?
Looks nice! The gravity doesn't look very realistic though, could you make it stronger?
That looks really great! I was initially very impressed because I thought you wrote it in z80 ASM, like M-Game, but I guess it's still a good job in Axe. Smile So, as requested, from bad to good:

1) Insults: It's in Axe. Shame on you
2) Comments: Looks great! You seem to have sloped collisions working, which is a massive headache for me
3) Questions: Well, the obvious one is, "where from here"?
4) Ideas: CALCnet!
Sure, when I get home. The way gravity works right now is that it adds one to the Y velocity every frame. So I'm going to have to change that to 2 and change the jump velocity (probably).

Edit: it is in ASM Sad. I was only mentioning the Axe part because that helped me understand the concept behind everything. That sums up 1 and 2 I think. The slopes were actually an accident Razz. What causes it is that I check the L/R detection first, and then the up/down, which makes it do weird stuff and going up slopes
That makes me think of the N+ game on the DS (I believe there are more versions, but I have only played it on DS, so I mentioned it instead)
My mistake, I withdraw my objections to the language, then. Very Happy In M-Game, I use fixed-point word-length variables for position, velocity, and acceleration, where the high byte is the integer part, and the low byte is precision. You might consider trying that.
Haha, that is exactly what I do Razz. I have a .dw for position and velocity. And then for getting the normal position, I do "ld a,(xpos+1)".
_player1537 wrote:
Haha, that is exactly what I do Razz. I have a .dw for position and velocity. And then for getting the normal position, I do "ld a,(xpos+1)".
Wow, then you're doing an excellent job; keep up the good work. Smile I of course do the same thing for the parabolic motion in Obliterate, overwise I'd never get anything even resembling proper projectiles.
Thanks KermM!

Edit: I'm devoting today to Platformer. Qazz42 gave me a wonderful (and Castlevania-ey) idea: give the player a whip. I figured I could use this a few ways, I can use it to go through small openings to the other side, break walls, and quickly switch sides of the map. Also, for future reference: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11832443/ASMin28d/welcome.html
I have an idea, how about you use it to break walls and the holes make shortcuts to skip part of the stage/level/map/whatever! That would be fricken awesome Very Happy
_player1537 wrote:
Thanks KermM!

Edit: I'm devoting today to Platformer. Qazz42 gave me a wonderful (and Castlevania-ey) idea: give the player a whip. I figured I could use this a few ways, I can use it to go through small openings to the other side, break walls, and quickly switch sides of the map. Also, for future reference: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11832443/ASMin28d/welcome.html
That's an awesome idea, and a great way to distinguish this game from other platformers! Good luck.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours