This program will allow TI-83+ users to unpack X-Link appvars into programs.

X-Link is potentially very useful in that it allows 83+/84+ calcs to receive data from all other TI calculators (the 85, 86, and 68ks- not Nspire though). But because the 89 Titanium has a very large archive memory, I would rather store TI-84+ programs on the Titanium and send them to an 84+ instead.

Rather than try to create an 89 version of X-Link, I decided to do something simpler. Make a computer program to package 8xp files as 89y custom variables (called "X-Packager"), and then make a z80 assembly program to unpack X-Link appvars and copy the contents into a program.

This would allow a TI-89 user to download TI-84+ games and share them with friends who have z80 calculators (the reason I wanted to do it).

I'd say it's about 50% complete. I've completed a Python program to make the 89y files (it uses ttbin2oth from the TI-68k Developer Utilities for the packaging, and a Python script I wrote to extract data). And I've written a z80 assembly program to extract data from an appvar and copy it to a program (I used Andree Chea's ZCopy as an example for this- it basically did what I wanted, but it copied a program into another program.

I still need an X-Link appvar containing a TI-89 variable, however, to take this any further (because my calc's link port is broken and can't obtain one myself). If someone could use X-Link on an 89 and upload the appvar, it would be appreciated.
Cool, good luck with this! Very Happy
_player1537 wrote:
Seconded, this sounds like a very fun project! It sounds like it does something different than Solar89 in regards to what BinPac-related Python you're writing? I'd help if I could, but my 89 is currently both AFK and AWOL. Sad
wait, x-link works with the Titanium?! D: I could never get it to work with that! Although, it did work with a TI-85 being emulated by a TI-84 >.>

<.<
qazz42 wrote:
wait, x-link works with the Titanium?! D: I could never get it to work with that! Although, it did work with a TI-85 being emulated by a TI-84 >.>

<.<

I think it works. I've never tried it, but the readme says:

Quote:
It currently supports nearly all variable types from the TI-85, TI-86, TI-89, TI-89 Titanium, TI-92, TI-92 II, TI-92 Plus, and Voyage 200.

I don't think it works with USB linking, though.
No, no, I was using an I/O wire but nothing sends when I use it >.<
KermMartian wrote:
_player1537 wrote:
Seconded, this sounds like a very fun project! It sounds like it does something different than Solar89 in regards to what BinPac-related Python you're writing? I'd help if I could, but my 89 is currently both AFK and AWOL. Sad

It's the reverse. Solar89 makes TI-83+ programs from TI-89 variables.. this makes TI-89 variables from TI-83+ programs.

I originally tried to adapt BinPac8x to make TI-89 variables but the format was too alien compared to the z80 format, so I wrote a new script that uses ttbin2oth. I would prefer a pure Python solution, but that seemed easier.

qazz42 wrote:
No, no, I was using an I/O wire but nothing sends when I use it >.<

Well, as I've never used X-Link, I don't know why it won't work for you. The readme says it should.
Well, bit of a progress update...

qazz was right- X-Link does not actually work with the 89 Titanium (for unknown reasons: it should...). And BrandonW said on #ti that he might take a weekend and rewrite this application at some point (to handle the IO ports better).

I might still do work on this in the mean time, but I've basically done everything I can already without using X-Link.
Darn, I better ask Brandon about it then. Oh well, I look very forward to this TC01, it could be the solution to my emmu8x problems Very Happy
I'm glad to hear that this project hasn't died yet, TC01, and I hope that BrandonW (or some equally skilled programmer, of which I think there are few to none) get the chance to track down the Titanium problems.
Yeah, I would like to make a backup of certain Titanium files on my 84 Very Happy (for on-the-go stuff)
qazz42 wrote:
Yeah, I would like to make a backup of certain Titanium files on my 84 Very Happy (for on-the-go stuff)
Wait, I thought it worked the other way around; did I misunderstand? I thought it was mostly or entirely intended to let you store files from your z80 calculator on your 68k calculator.
Uh, yeah, I meant it the other way x.x
qazz42 wrote:
Uh, yeah, I meant it the other way x.x
Oh good, good; I'm glad I wasn't confusing myself. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours