Hello,
I'm working on a game called Epic Sketch, which is a classic-style RPG with swords and magic and monsters and everything you've come to know and love, with stick figure art and sketched environments. Thoughts?
are the graphics going to be like Double Dragon, or Mark the Super Kid Quest?
edit:
or is it not a calc game?
Not a calc game. "Commercial Game Idea"
Oh. How can you make a stick figure graphics type game sell? Graphics make the game, and people want realism. That's what sells best in the market at this time.
Graphics most definitely do not make the game. I think that WoW is butt-ugly, personally. However, stick figure graphics will be unique, and pleasing to the eye with high contrast visuals.
Hmmm, I wonder if I can get Randall Monroe to do the character art...
i take back my statement, if you can manage to make the world interesting though, with high contrast black/white, the game will sell millions for setting up a new genre. So, an RPG. Is it like hack n' slash blood gore RPG, or something more E rated?
Probably a happy medium. I may add color for spells, blood, and other effects, but it will probably be a colored-pencil type of feel.
So like Mr. Game & Watch? Sounds cool.
Similar, but with even simpler art. I contacted Randall Monroe (xkcd creator) to see if he was interested in drawing the character art.
So that's where that name comes from! So like xkcd, not Mr. Game & Watch. Still, Mr. Game & Watch always makes me laugh, with his random **** he pulls out! I love Smash Bros!
SirCmpwn wrote:
Similar, but with even simpler art. I contacted Randall Monroe (xkcd creator) to see if he was interested in drawing the character art.
No offense, but I'm sure he has things he'd rather do with his time, considering you're just a guy emailing him (as opposed to a game company) and you don't have gameplay yet. With that said, I think it's a great idea, and I definitely hope you'll pursue it. What's your targeted language and platform at this point?
/\yeah, that
good luck, though!
games with handmade sprites (like the neverhood or machinarium) always end up being wonderful
KermMartian wrote:
SirCmpwn wrote:
No offense, but I'm sure he has things he'd rather do with his time, considering you're just a guy emailing him (as opposed to a game company) and you don't have gameplay yet. With that said, I think it's a great idea, and I definitely hope you'll pursue it. What's your targeted language and platform at this point?

Language = C# (XNA Framework) platform = Xbox 360
Randall Monroe's only commitment is XKCD, and I think this project may be right up his alley.
I was gonna question your ability to sell this, but it sounds like you actually have a solid plan in place. I might save some MS points to buy this...
Oh, I will eventually have 25 promotional codes to give away so you can download the game for free...
Sounds kinda fun. I hope this succeeds. Is it very hard to get a game approved on Xbox Live Indie Games?

Didn't you also have to pay every year to develop for the 360 and keep your games online? If your games won't sell very well, this can be quite a bit of money lost if you are low on finances.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Sounds kinda fun. I hope this succeeds. Is it very hard to get a game approved on Xbox Live Indie Games?

Didn't you also have to pay every year to develop for the 360 and keep your games online? If your games won't sell very well, this can be quite a bit of money lost if you are low on finances.
Ugh, I hate when companies do things like that. Another company that I think has a despicable third-party distribution model is Apple. At any rate, I too wish you luck on this, SirCmpwn, as long as it doesn't take you away from KnightOS and your other projects too much.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours