I wanted to play around with the pop3 and smtp protocols with c++ but can't find much on the topic. Where should I begin doing research? Would it just be a more specific part of networking and socket usage?

Edit: Forgot to add that everything I find references winsock, and i'm running ubuntu.
Sockets in C are fairly standard (C sockets are what you want, btw), particularly what you are interested in is BSD sockets.

That said, you're going to have to implement the protocols yourself by reading the protocol itself, or you have to find and use a 3rd party library. Raw C sockets are complicated - why do you want to do this at all?
Why POP3? If you're going to be retrieving email messages, at least have the common decency to use IMAP. Wink

You can find documentation for the protocols in RFCs: SMTP, IMAP and POP3. I'd strongly recommend using an existing library rather than writing your own.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Sockets in C are fairly standard (C sockets are what you want, btw), particularly what you are interested in is BSD sockets.

That said, you're going to have to implement the protocols yourself by reading the protocol itself, or you have to find and use a 3rd party library. Raw C sockets are complicated - why do you want to do this at all?

Pretty much just curiosity, that and I'm going to have to do some networking programming within the year so I figured an email client of sorts would be a pretty easy place to start.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours