This is where the equation variables come into play

Code:
"sub(Str1,ans(1)*16+ans(2)+1,1->v

Then to access the element that would be at the top left of the screen

Code:
{0,0
v

I <3 equation variables Smile
Well I have yet to see a way to make a Text-Sprite map with Lists or Strings. Very Happy
But if you need help let me know, in fact I prefer matrices for maps as they are easier to edit.

KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen's the new up-and-coming expert on that. Smile

What exactly do you mean? o.o
_player1537 wrote:
This is where the equation variables come into play

Code:
"sub(Str1,ans(1)*16+ans(2)+1,1->v

Then to access the element that would be at the top left of the screen

Code:
{0,0
v

I <3 equation variables Smile

^++ This.
Hey, that's a pretty awesome trick! I don't think I've ever seen that one used before...
you know, i normally use 1 var for an x,y

:5.5->A
:Output(10fPart(A),int(A),"X
KermMartian wrote:
Hey, that's a pretty awesome trick! I don't think I've ever seen that one used before...

See how I found that bug in DCS now Wink
WAIT! your saying that almost noone knew Ans could be used as a list?! i use it in my compiler and all 5000 of my deleted unfinished TI-Basic games!
Anakclusmos wrote:
WAIT! your saying that almost noone knew Ans could be used as a list?! i use it in my compiler and all 5000 of my deleted unfinished TI-Basic games!

I think that was in response to the equation variable usage btw
well it ain much different than doing this:

:"ø+6->r1
:r1(5
which returns 11
Anakclusmos wrote:
string0=map

" "=sub(string0,y16+x,1

hit detection in Ans
Sure, but what about when you have 128*4*4 characters in Str0 because you're storing 16 screens full of data, and you want to do hit detection? Suddenly not as easy, unless you pluck out the 128-char substring each time.
M=map#
string0=map

sub(string0,128M+16Y+X,1

simple.
Problem with working with strings of huge map sizes is the further into the string you go (closer to the end) The slower it responds. just so you know.

Code:
"sub(str1,16ans(1)+128ans(3)+ans(2)+1,1->v
{0,0,0
v
If 0:Access the first element of the first map
{0,0,4
If 0:Access the first element of the 5th map

Wink

Edit:
tifreak8x wrote:
Problem with working with strings of huge map sizes is the further into the string you go (closer to the end) The slower it responds. just so you know.

Yeah, I ran into that problem when making the omnimaga rickrolling program. The first part displayed just fine, but the second part was really slow, then it'd be fast, slow again, etc
i usally use sub-maps anyway
Or you could just store the strings in 1 screen size map parts and use it that way.
You don't have to hear it from us! Save yourself the wait; all of the little tricks and surprises that you could ever hope to uncover can be found by picking up (and losing yourself in) a (physical) copy of the TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator Guidebook. If it's not an inch thick, then it's not the right one. (And if something can't be found in there, then it's probably on the wiki.)
Weregoose wrote:
You don't have to hear it from us! Save yourself the wait; all of the little tricks and surprises that you could ever hope to uncover can be found by picking up (and losing yourself in) a (physical) copy of the TI-83 Plus Graphing Calculator Guidebook. If it's not an inch thick, then it's not the right one. (And if something can't be found in there, then it's probably on the wiki.)
Yeah, but not everyone here would run across the section on linear regression statistics and think to themselves, "hmmm, I could use this to turn numbers into strings!"

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours