I am running OS 2.53mp fixed version (brandonW) on a TI-84+SE.

I was editing a program last night, nothing new.
I backed it up on the computer with TI-Connect, the program was archived. When I went back to edit it, the program was changed drastically.

Consider this the normal program:
Beginning
Middle
More stuff
End

Now after transferring it over it was like this:
Beginning
Middle
Beginning
End

By that, I mean the whole start of the program copied and pasted itself over some part of the middle. But here is the weirder part.
The line of code where the beginning pasted itself was a text command that looked like this.
Text(55,1,"something something
Notice how it ends in "ING"
Now the part of the code where normality had restored was also a text command ending in ING.

I was editing it in the TI-OS so I don't think it was a DCS error.

I opened the copy I had just backed up on an emulator, and it's code was fine.

Have any of you seen or heard of anything similar?
If I wasn't specific enough or you don't understand, post.
I've actually heard of the TI-OS doing this once before, from PseudoProgrammer, but I'm not sure what could have caused it. (Also don't forget that the DCS editor is the TI-OS editor, even if you had been using the DCS editor, which you weren't). That's the oddest bug - you're saying it overwrote "more stuff", not just inserted the extra stuff? And that's crazy that (if I understand you correctly) it made pieces of code with ING match up? I would love it if you could possibly replicate this.
KermMartian wrote:
I've actually heard of the TI-OS doing this once before, from PseudoProgrammer, but I'm not sure what could have caused it. (Also don't forget that the DCS editor is the TI-OS editor, even if you had been using the DCS editor, which you weren't). That's the oddest bug - you're saying it overwrote "more stuff", not just inserted the extra stuff? And that's crazy that (if I understand you correctly) it made pieces of code with ING match up? I would love it if you could possibly replicate this.

Yeah it overwrote "more stuff".

It was a GREAT thing I backed up, because the file was my contest entry.

I can try to replicate it, I'll tell you if something happens.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Yeah it overwrote "more stuff".

It was a GREAT thing I backed up, because the file was my contest entry.

I can try to replicate it, I'll tell you if something happens.
Definitely, I'd appreciate that for the sake of the general community knowledge about TI-OS bugs. Also, can you rephrase the ING thing? I think I understand it, but I want to make sure.
KermMartian wrote:
...Also, can you rephrase the ING thing? I think I understand it, but I want to make sure.

Sure, here is some more detail.
The actual code is censored below because of contest rules.

beginning code
code
code
code
text(55,1,"A ******** OF A *****ING // code censored
copied beginning code
text(55,1,"LIKE A ****** OR ******ING
regular code
rest of code

See how copied code starts and ends with ING lines.

No luck reproducing Neutral
That's just the weird thing ever. I wonder if the matching is a coincidence, a Flash CRC error (how old is your calculator?), or indicative of a TI-OS pure-software bug.
KermMartian wrote:
That's just the weird thing ever. I wonder if the matching is a coincidence...

Maybe...
KermMartian wrote:

...a Flash CRC error (how old is your calculator?)...

Not old at all, got it during the summer.
KermMartian wrote:

...indicative of a TI-OS pure-software bug.

I don't know, you should call in brandonW, he will say something smart. Razz
Good points all around. I poked BrandonW about this, so we'll see if he has anything interesting to say on the subject.
I had a similar thing happen to me, but it was NOWHERE near as severe.

This also happened to my contest entry

in my program, sometimes the first 4-5 lines would sometimes have strange chars copied from other lines.

Example:
2 -> A
Disp "Get DoorsCS7!"

the second line would be this after the bug:
Disp "Get DoorsC->A
How very strange! Did that happen just the once or more than once? This is quite interesting.
KermMartian wrote:
How very strange! Did that happen just the once or more than once? This is quite interesting.

it happened three times, but luckily only the first few lines were changed, otherwise i would have to ungroup an older backup and rewrite code.

Edit : this happened when i unarchived the program. I archive all of my programs when i am not using them.
You know, aside from the frustration that it must cause, I find this extremely funny how it is doing that. If I read wrong, are you using the "official" os, or a modified os? If it is modified, it could be the modified bits that are causing this, otherwise I have no earthly idea.
Yeah, it's modified. Good catch Sonlen.

Kerm, Pseudo: Was this error of Pseudo's on another Patched OS as well?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Yeah, it's modified. Good catch Sonlen.

Kerm, Pseudo: Was this error of Pseudo's on another Patched OS as well?
ComicIDIOT, a superb point! Let me throw this Pseudo's way and see what he says.
Kerm, It happened again today, I kept a copy of the file, and I'll send when the contest is over.
Is this solely a 2.53 error? Because I've been using 2.43 and my code never becomes glitchy, no matter where I had it.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Kerm, It happened again today, I kept a copy of the file, and I'll send when the contest is over.
You can send it to me now if you want; I am one of the two judges after all, so I don't think there's a danger of me stealing your code for my entry. Wink Either way though, I look forward to eventually seeing it.

@ACagliano: I thought so, until Pseudoprogrammer indicated that this happened for him under 5.9 beta, which came out about 4 years ago. I'll have to verify that from him.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours