I downloaded "Puppy" Linux, a small distribution (50mb) that comes with xwin. But when I boot with the LiveCD and set it to allow Linux to write to HD (I need this to be on to install it) it tells me that my HD doesn't have an ext2 filesystem (it has an ext2 partition though...) and it tells me that my other HD won't allow it access either. Linux still loads but the cd drive is reserved as a system drive for /usr and cannot be used, thus I cannot use the cd to install it on the hd.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

Also, what would you recomend I replace xwin with (if I can? (Xwin (Keep it)/KDE/Gnome/Other)
never heard of puppy linux, nor xwin (the common xservers are xorg and xfree86)

however, you're problem sounds somewhat simple. it sounds like you aren't selecting the right partition. for example, if you have an NTFS partition, followed by an ext2 partition (ext2 == SLOW, just so you know), followed by a swap partition, it would generally be layed out like this (assuming all are the master hdd on the first IDE channel)

/dev/hda1 = NTFS
/dev/hda2 = ext2
/dev/hda3 = swap

for the second drive it would be /dev/hdbX where X = the partition number you want

I strongly suggest you start with a more "friendly" distro like debian, which has loads of documentation, a large user base, AND an installer (or redhate, or mandrake, or a different "big" distro). Or at least a distro that uses more popular apps

Oh, and what kernel is it? (at a CLI, type "uname -r")
The drive I am trying to install it on has only an ext2 partition, but reports that it doesn't have an ext2 filesystem on it. I will try the other installation process but it is one for coexisting with windows, it makes 4 files on the destination drive.
Quote:
(ext2 == SLOW, just so you know)
I think this is the only one it can install on.

Quote:
I strongly suggest you start with a more "friendly" distro like debian, which has loads of documentation, a large user base, AND an installer (or redhate, or mandrake, or a different "big" distro). Or at least a distro that uses more popular apps

I have dialup so any of them would take a million years to download. I have an installer for KDE that should be able to replace xwin (or FVM95).

I'll check the kernel version once I get a chance to.
Quote:
The drive I am trying to install it on has only an ext2 partition, but reports that it doesn't have an ext2 filesystem on it. I will try the other installation process but it is one for coexisting with windows, it makes 4 files on the destination drive.

make sure you are using /dev/hda1 then (if master drive on first IDE channel), not just /dev/hda

KDE is a desktop setup, and will not replace xwin (assuming xwin is an xserver, which is what it sounds like). xwin, xorg, and xfree86 merely make the windows that you see, not the desktop/startmenu/control paneles, etc... KDE or Gnome (or any other desktop "session") runs ON TOP OF the xserver. The problem with xwin is that i know ATi doesn't have drivers for it, and i don't think nvidia does either (both have them for xorg or xfree86)

As for downloading the CD's, don't worry about that. http://ubuntu.com/ will mail you CD's of their (debian based) linux distro for free (it really is free, i got some myself) I have yet to use ubunto, but its debian + gnome, can't go wrong there Wink

Oh, and you're going to have to download several hundred megs of data regardless, as all linux apps have dependancies, and those must also be installed (some can be quite large, this is where debian or gentoo make it really easy to install software, as both have a system that auto-gets the packages needed to install. Debian's apt-get is faster tho, as it installs binaries, whereas gentoo compiles from source code)
Any Idea where they ship it from, I'm in Canada. That means I'll probably have to wait a thousand years to recieve it, if the Canadian postal service doesn't lose/break it.Neutral I'm only gonna order 3. (X86)

Kllrnohj wrote:
debian + gnome, can't go wrong there

Are you sure it comes with both? Because I saw a Kubuntu which said it came with KDE and I think it said Ubuntu comes with GNOME.
heh...debian is the distro that ubuntu/kubuntu is based off of. Gnome is the desktop setup (i believe ubuntu/kubuntu use xorg 6.3)

being based on debian means you can use apt to get/install programs
I'm lost, so I'll just listen along. Smile
I got confused back there. Sorry about that. I thought you meant it came with KDE + GNOME. Not Debian + GNOME. Smile
Bombu wrote:
I got confused back there. Sorry about that. I thought you meant it came with KDE + GNOME. Not Debian + GNOME. Smile

hehe, i know the feeling. only 3 months or so ago, i was completely lost (switching to linux as my primary OS was my "unofficial summer project" so to speak)

trying to use linux on dial-up is going to be hard (unless you're willing to spend some money. Alot of distro's, including debian, will ship you let you order CD's for a price. Debian themselves don't seem to ship CD's, but they have venders that will. From their site: "Many of the vendors sell the distribution for less than US$5 plus shipping (check their web page to see if they ship internationally)." you might want to look into doing something like that - http://www.us.debian.org/CD/vendors/ )
Quote:
hehe, i know the feeling. only 3 months or so ago, i was completely lost (switching to linux as my primary OS was my "unofficial summer project" so to speak)

Same here, except that this was my third attempt Laughing I never could get RedHat 5 (7?) running properly...I think it was because my laptop was just old...

@Bombu: For your first distro, I'd recommend either Debian or Fedora Core; both have large userbases, and directory structuresare very common, so they're easy to figure out how to navigate when reading a tutorial off of somewhere. As for your GUI, use xfree or xorg, and use KDE, then progress to fluxbox when you're comfortable. About how big is your hard drive?
bah, Gnome >>>> KDE - especially for debian as Synaptic is programmed for Gnome (so are like, a ton of cool apps, KDE is poopy)

Fluxbox is pretty badass tho, its just not complete enough... (it doesn't even have its own file browser for pete's sake, much less a control panel of its own)
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
About how big is your hard drive?

I have:
- 6 gb (Win98)
- 5 gb (Bad FAT, I'll try to recover it. I had some good programs on this)
- 4 gb (WinXp Pro, have to reinstall)
- > 1 gb (not sure on size, more than 1 gb) (win95)
- and various drives that are < 1gb

I could probably format my win95 drive (or some others), probably the 5gb since the windows on it was almost non-functioning when the FAT wasn't bad.
I am still waiting to receive Ubuntu Linux. I thinks its been 2 or 3 weeks, the time range was 3 - 6 weeks average.

I've never even heard of Fluxbox, then again no one here but alex10819, Kerm Martian and me have probably heard of xwin.
Laughing Ooh, ooh, pick me, I know xwin!
Quote:
bah, Gnome >>>> KDE - especially for debian as Synaptic is programmed for Gnome (so are like, a ton of cool apps, KDE is poopy)

I personally didn't like GNOME when I had it installed...

Quote:
Fluxbox is pretty badass tho, its just not complete enough... (it doesn't even have its own file browser for pete's sake, much less a control panel of its own)

Yes, but the whole point is for you to be able to customize everything.
I see your point on flubox, but it is a lot more work. I like the KDE interface, it is like Windows, but better.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Yes, but the whole point is for you to be able to customize everything.

yes, but they need to at least include the basic tools to DO that. Editing my menu by hand was a pain in the a, they could easily whip together a small GUI program to aid with that. Same with configuring the boot, resolution, etc. I want at least a basic GUI control panel, and fluxbox doesn't have it. Now, Fluxbox + Gnome is great. Use the fluxbox shell, with all the great Gnome controls panels/file browsers. THAT was cool, but then i promptly broke the debian install, and i have yet to fix it, as i have moved on to gentoo!
Quote:
Editing my menu by hand was a pain in the censored, they could easily whip together a small GUI program to aid with that.

Isn't there the auto-config thing for menus? I've used it a couple times...didn't like the formatting, so I just manually make mine.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours