As an advisory to anyone here with Google Voice, I point you to a security incident on my number yesterday at noon in Kansas.

Just a caution that it could be happening to you.
For a while I got call recordings from Scam Insurance and Credit Cards, today was my first call from a live person calling one of those companies back.

I've changed my password and checked my outgoing calls. No calls to Kansas on my GV Number and none in the trash. Someone either hijacked my account and deleted their outgoing calls or my number is still in use somewhere - or at least on a caller ID.
could also be that the person calling you misremembered or misdialed the number, or that the caller id was spoofed.
Good to know, I'll have to keep an eye out and see if anything like this happens soon. Thanks for the heads up.
Kllrnohj wrote:
could also be that the person calling you misremembered or misdialed the number, or that the caller id was spoofed.

Seconded.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Caller ID these days is simple, all you have to do is press "Talk/Call" to call the number on CID back.

And I already mentioned that it could have been spoofed though with less obvious words ;)
comicIDIOT wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Caller ID these days is simple, all you have to do is press "Talk/Call" to call the number on CID back.

And I already mentioned that it could have been spoofed though with less obvious words Wink
Indeed, so you did. This is relatively scary stuff; I'm somewhat glad now that I never bothered trying to link my GV account to my real phone.
Not sure if it's a recent thing but I tried getting a second line on GV and I had to give it a number. Not sure if that was the case back when the service was Grand Central (when I had originally signed up) but I linked my phone right away all those years ago.

I kind of wish you could use GV without a cell number [now] Sad
comicIDIOT wrote:
Not sure if it's a recent thing but I tried getting a second line on GV and I had to give it a number. Not sure if that was the case back when the service was Grand Central (when I had originally signed up) but I linked my phone right away all those years ago.

I kind of wish you could use GV without a cell number [now] Sad
Well, I chose (###) CEM-ETECH as my phone number, and I see I do indeed have my real cell phone with my account, but since I've never really used GV or given out its number, I think I have somewhat less to worry about.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours