i have 2 lan slots, how do i make the seccond 1 give access to another computer? 1 is my nvidea onboard the other is a D-Link DFE-530TX+, the d-link is wut i want to give access to another comp with
direct connect between to computers you mean?

you'll need a crossover ethernet cable (unless i'm mistaken)

Normally, to lan computers you need a hub or switch. --recommneded approach
Yeah, I was talking to him about this on AIM. Turns out he didn't realize about the x-over cable. Smile
i have a router and a hub, the hub in the basement, theres 50ft of cat5 connecting my comp to the hub, i knew about crossover cable, but idk if i have ne. but i still think that both comps should recognise that there is sumthin in the ethernet ports when i hook em together
KermMartian wrote:
Yeah, I was talking to him about this on AIM. Turns out he didn't realize about the x-over cable. Smile

i tried that tho, and i couldn't get it to work. one comp was XP home sp2, one was XP pro sp0

if you have an ethernet cord, it isn't hard to change it to a crossover cable. Just look at a diagram on the internet, cut the cord in the middle, and splice and switch the cables around. Took me like 5 min
i for get which is which, i kno my 50 ft is patch, it says it on it, but idk id its patch or crossover that have bothe heads wired the same way. i have a crinmping tool, and my friend has cord and heads, next time i go over ill wire some up. could sum1 post a link for propper wire setup?
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm
Just look at both ends, check the colors to find which end has standard wiring, then cut off the other end and recrimp that end as crossover.
google for something like ethernet connector diagram - there are two types, A and B. Crossovers have one wired as A, and one as B.

I couldn't get windows to connect to each other with a crossover, but maybe you're luck will be better (it certainly wasn't plug-and-play like a switch is)
Hmm, is it possible your cable was miswired? Or perhaps your settings were screwy?
Quote:
I couldn't get windows to connect to each other with a crossover, but maybe you're luck will be better (it certainly wasn't plug-and-play like a switch is)

Well, you have to set them up to connect to each other through their TCP/IP settings...
i played around with it for 30 min, said screw it, and i hooked the second one up through our 802.11b wireless (slow at transfering stuff, yes, but oh well)
Laughing That's probably the easiest way in the long run. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours