Check it:

Several possibilities:

1) temp1 isn't hooked up to anything, thus isn't giving a reading of anything.

2) the bios has a bug, and that sensor isn't reading correctly

3) that isn't the probe for the CPU, so who cares?

4) You're using a peltier.

5) Your use of "air cooling" is broader than the common use which means a heatsink and fan unit is the only cooling device for the CPU.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Several possibilities:

1) temp1 isn't hooked up to anything, thus isn't giving a reading of anything.

4) You're using a peltier.

5) Your use of "air cooling" is broader than the common use which means a heatsink and fan unit is the only cooling device for the CPU.

Or maybe it's just really cold. Smile
Kllrnohj wrote:

Or it could mean I can't get MCP55 support working properly in lm_sensors Smile

Kllrnohj wrote:

I do; I'm assuming that temp sensor is hooked up to my chipset, which has been overheating and crashing my box for the past few days now and I'm trying to see how hot it gets under load, which is apparently -65°C Razz (BIOS shows that it's idling at ~70-80°C, even with the new cooler fan I installed on it)
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

Or it could mean I can't get MCP55 support working properly in lm_sensors Smile

What Kernel are you running and what Mobo? If it's an Asus, an Bios+Kernel update should tell you if its an issue as the asus_atk0110 driver is most likely going to be more accurate than reading directly from the sensor.
foamy3 wrote:

For that to be the case the ambient temp would need to be well below -65C, which would basically limit you to Antarctica(-80 to -90C at its coldest). However, the rest of the computer wouldn't run at such extreme cold temperatures, so that rules that out Wink

Quote:
I do; I'm assuming that temp sensor is hooked up to my chipset, which has been overheating and crashing my box for the past few days now and I'm trying to see how hot it gets under load, which is apparently -65°C Razz (BIOS shows that it's idling at ~70-80°C, even with the new cooler fan I installed on it)

o.0

How the hell did you pull that off? Chipsets don't produce much heat, hence why most are passively cooled or at most have a tiny fan.

My recommendation to fix that would be to *carefully* remove the current heatsink and replace the TIM with some quality stuff. That will probably do wonders.
It appears the temperature is an unsigned byte and so it could be that the -65C reading is actually +191C which is so hot that it registered as a negative. I doubt it though as you would smell a lot of burning and see some fire at this temp.
Kllrnohj wrote:
foamy3 wrote:

For that to be the case the ambient temp would need to be well below -65C, which would basically limit you to Antarctica(-80 to -90C at its coldest). However, the rest of the computer wouldn't run at such extreme cold temperatures, so that rules that out Wink

Quote:

o.0

How the hell did you pull that off? Chipsets don't produce much heat, hence why most are passively cooled or at most have a tiny fan.

My recommendation to fix that would be to *carefully* remove the current heatsink and replace the TIM with some quality stuff. That will probably do wonders.

The 780i chipset uses more power and thus produces more heat than the average chipset, so a larger heatsink (and fan in some cases) is needed to cool it properly. It is a known issue with EVGA & XFX mobo's that the chipset heatsinks were mounted improperly, causing the chipsets to overheat and crash systems (not to mention the heatsink design on EVGA & XFX mobo's isn't that great; why on Earth did they think it was a good idea to put a chipset heatsink right up next to a videocard and have the fan blow DOWNWARD over the chipset & GPU?)

Right now I have a thin 80mm HTPC case fan between my videocard and heatsink and a larger 80mm case fan zip-tied to the other side of the heatsink which is keeping it at around 60°C right now; ideally what I'd like to do is put some aftermarket coolers on the northbridge and southbridge chips, along with some individual passive heatsinks for the MOSFETs so I can get rid of this ridiculous heatsink :/ I mean look at the damn thing: http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2008/01/30231545485l.jpg
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
The 780i chipset uses more power and thus produces more heat than the average chipset, so a larger heatsink (and fan in some cases) is needed to cool it properly.

That's because Nvidia chipsets suck. The *REAL* question is why on earth did you buy an Nvidia chipset to run an Intel CPU? Intel chipsets rock.

Quote:
It is a known issue with EVGA & XFX mobo's that the chipset heatsinks were mounted improperly, causing the chipsets to overheat and crash systems (not to mention the heatsink design on EVGA & XFX mobo's isn't that great; why on Earth did they think it was a good idea to put a chipset heatsink right up next to a videocard and have the fan blow DOWNWARD over the chipset & GPU?)

Downward as in the fan blows onto the base of the HSF, or downward as in the fan is blowing parallel to the motherboard?

Quote:
ideally what I'd like to do is put some aftermarket coolers on the northbridge and southbridge chips, along with some individual passive heatsinks for the MOSFETs so I can get rid of this ridiculous heatsink :/

You can ignore the southbridge, that just has things like the SATA controller, it uses very little power. All it needs is a little passive heatsink, nothing much.

Quote:

That's your motherboard? Next time buy an Asus Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
The 780i chipset uses more power and thus produces more heat than the average chipset, so a larger heatsink (and fan in some cases) is needed to cool it properly.

That's because Nvidia chipsets suck. The *REAL* question is why on earth did you buy an Nvidia chipset to run an Intel CPU? Intel chipsets rock.

IIRC at the time I bought it Intel chipsets couldn't run SLI (iirc a couple X48 mobo's could after I had already purchased my 780i board.)

Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:
It is a known issue with EVGA & XFX mobo's that the chipset heatsinks were mounted improperly, causing the chipsets to overheat and crash systems (not to mention the heatsink design on EVGA & XFX mobo's isn't that great; why on Earth did they think it was a good idea to put a chipset heatsink right up next to a videocard and have the fan blow DOWNWARD over the chipset & GPU?)

Downward as in the fan blows onto the base of the HSF, or downward as in the fan is blowing parallel to the motherboard?

Down as in at a 45° angle to the base of the heatsink and back of the first videocard.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:
ideally what I'd like to do is put some aftermarket coolers on the northbridge and southbridge chips, along with some individual passive heatsinks for the MOSFETs so I can get rid of this ridiculous heatsink :/

You can ignore the southbridge, that just has things like the SATA controller, it uses very little power. All it needs is a little passive heatsink, nothing much.

I'll keep that in mind when I send off my next order to Newegg Smile

Kllrnohj wrote:
Quote:

That's your motherboard? Next time buy an Asus Razz

Yeah yeah that's what I get for trying to save a couple bucks Razz
Fascinating. I'm with Quigibo in thinking that -65C is either the lower registerable limit of the sensor (since we all know diodes have a horizontally-asymptotic V-I curve towards V=-inf, I=0 at low temperatures/low currents), or that it's some kind of default or overflow.
Personally I'd poke the peeps in the LM_sensors mailing list, I'm sure any number of them could help you find a correct config setup that will get everything working correctly.
haha... wow...
thats pretty funny! XD

unless you live in the northern parts of Canada, i dont think you could get that temperature easily...

but ya... these temperature censors are pretty buggy... since one of my friend's computers show that his graphics card temperature is always around 6 degrees C XD
WhiteValkery wrote:
unless you live in the northern parts of Canada, i dont think you could get that temperature easily...

It's not that hard to get those temps. LN2 will easily get colder than that, dry ice will get you close, and a high powered TEC with water will still get you below freezing.

Quote:
but ya... these temperature censors are pretty buggy... since one of my friend's computers show that his graphics card temperature is always around 6 degrees C XD

More than likely the temperature sensor is fine, and whatever software he is using is simply wrong. If it is an ATI card, use the Catalyst Control Center to check the temperatures (installed with the drivers) - it'll be under the Overdrive tab.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours