POSIX, Sir, POSIX! Razz
yeah, the z80 is not the most capable device you'll find. Have you found a standard you can't really implement yet?
Nope!
And the more I implement, the more pissed I get at TI for not doing the same.
calcdude84se wrote:
POSIX, Sir, POSIX! Razz
yeah, the z80 is not the most capable device you'll find. Have you found a standard you can't really implement yet?
I think POSIX would be just a tad prohibitive to implement on a calculator. Smile
^++
Continuing the discussion about standards, what standards:
  • have you already implemented?
  • are you implementing/will you definitely include?
  • will probably implement?
  • might implement if you have enough time?

Just curious.
Well, POSIX being out of the question, I have yet to see a viable set of standards, so I defined a few standards based on my gut feelings about what users expect from an OS:
1) Directory-based filesystem
2) Multitasking
3) Automatic Updates
4) Integrated application install method
5) Kernel and OS seperate
6) Support for most hardware
7) Support for most periphials
8 ) Network capability
9) Library-based code execution to keep program sizes minimal
10) Easy to transition from prior OS
Later today I can make a better list. Keep in mind that KnightOS will probably make some standards, too. Also, these standards have pretty much been stored in my head until now.
I currently support 1, 5, 6, and 9. I will definately support 2, 3, 4, and 10. I will probably support 7. If I have time, I will do a calcnet kind of thing and support 8. Maybe.
If you do get around to wanting to allow some kind of networking support, hopefully I'll have finished perfecting some form of CALCnet by then so you can make it compatible or just use my routines.
Sweet, how much does CALCnet rely on TIOS?
SirCmpwn wrote:
Sweet, how much does CALCnet rely on TIOS?
As I recall, it doesn't use a single bcall(), and the partially-working version that I have in fact has to disable the OS's interrupts and a bunch of other things in order to even work properly. I don't think you'll have too many problems in that regard.
Cool, I may ask for a copy later in the development process.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Cool, I may ask for a copy later in the development process.
Good stuff, then I'll need to work on something for you to request in the meantime. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Not to mention that they're random-access read and write, unlike the calculator's Flash, which is only random-access read but block-access write.

Hard drives read and write using blocks, and SSDs of course read and write in blocks (hence the need for wear leveling)

@SirCmpwn: I have experience writing a 32-bit x86 kernel but almost no z80 experience. I can answer design questions, but not much in the way of low level implementation details as my z80 is very limited.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours