KermMartian wrote:
Heh. Anyway, Adriweb, very nice Photoshoppery. It's good to know that it looks glossy (and a lot like a Prizm, if I may say so myself!).

Ouch. That hurt. I hope you all wont go and leave casio just because TI came out with a new color calc...
We will >Very Happy
J/k lol.
At Maker Faire 2012, multiple persons told Kerm that it was a shame he was not some sort of official TI ambassador, as he is very knowledgeable about the TI-Z80 series and does lots of cool things with these calculators. See the recap at http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8278 .

Since then, have there been some contacts between Kerm and TI ? That seems clear.
There are now more contacts between TI and programmers than there were several years ago, and said contacts are more direct.
After totally shunning the community of users at large, TI still very largely shuns it, and the results (for instance, as far as openness of the Nspire platform goes) are nonexistent - but contacts are not a bad thing in principle Smile

Said contacts between members of the open development community and TI insiders do not even necessarily involve NDAs or suchlike crap. I know from personal experience.
Lionel Debroux wrote:
multiple persons

Lionel, you win my favorite-non-native-English-speaker award, for having better grammar than 100% of Americans.
Quote:
There are now more contacts between TI and programmers than there were several years ago, and said contacts are more direct

Completely true. Some people now takes care about third party developpers (at least in Europe).
This looks fairly interesting... Are they going to lock it down from being programmed, or are they actually making a new useful product? Why would the colored image be in the middle, with the greenish background on the side?
AlexRider38 wrote:
Amazing
Welcome to Cemetech, but in the future please make more substantive posts.
Quote:
Said contacts between members of the open development community and TI insiders do not even necessarily involve NDAs or suchlike crap. I know from personal experience.
Well-said. It certainly would be excellent if Texas Instruments worked with the community to make this calculator more attractive to us (and users!).

Liquid: What?
KermMartian wrote:
AlexRider38 wrote:
Amazing
Welcome to Cemetech, but in the future please make more substantive posts.

Ok sorry but it's just amazing Very Happy
OOooh, I love this idea...

Do you thing it would be possible to port the Celtic libraries to add colour options ? (or maybe Axe)

Of course I'm eager to learn more (yes, like everyone).

But a z80 with color would be a more competitor of the Casio Prizm, isn't it ?
If possible, I will absolutely be making Doors CS fully support this new calculator, and I shall do so as early as possible. It will definitely offer color options to Hybrid BASIC programs if ASM can access them. Yes, this would be a more direct Prizm competitor, if it works out to be the sort of calculator we're imagining.

AlexRider: It is. Are you a user, teacher, programmer, or what? Would you Introduce Yourself when you get a chance?
with DCS, any chance you will also touch up the gui a bit, because of the resolution and color change? you wouldnt exactly need the calc to sketch stuff up.
LuxenD wrote:
with DCS, any chance you will also touch up the gui a bit, because of the resolution and color change? you wouldnt exactly need the calc to sketch stuff up.
Touch it up in what way? I've never found the GUI to be particularly grimy. Wink That's true, though, I/we can certainly brainstorm changes before I/we get our hands on it.
not grimy, but with the 96X64 on 84s, its...dull. compared to other things, its fantastic, but after a while, it seems kinda weak.

maybe just including interchangable styles, like windows has, would fix that problem. maybe i just stare at it too long (Laughing my head off)

also, on a completly unrelated topic, would the file extensions go 83p(TI83), 8xp(Ti 83+/83+SE/84+/84+SE), 8cp(???)?
KermMartian wrote:
Liquid: What?
TI locked down the Nspires so that they could not be programmed with ASM or C (I don't know exact details?) unless jail broken. If TI are making a color screen TI-84, does that mean that they have changed their anti-programability policy?

EDIT: Another thing that worries me is how much this thing will cost... My parents aren't paying $150 for another calculator when I already have a perfectly good one...
I have this feeling the price won't be so bad, especially not if this is meant as a prizm competitor. (however I have no clue how much the prizm costs?)
Wow! I have to say, I'm slightly miffed though. I bought my ti-84+ SE a couple of months ago, and TI bring out a new one Sad. Still, having said that, the TI 83+/84+ linage has massive software repositories and a great community. If the calc is reasonably priced, compatible with existing 83+/84+ programs, has ASM access and isn't locked down like the nspire linage.

I hope that TI support the hacking community, if they do, we'll have one awesome piece of hardware with lots of hacking and programming opportunities.
aeTIos wrote:
I have this feeling the price won't be so bad, especially not if this is meant as a prizm competitor. (however I have no clue how much the prizm costs?)
Anywhere from $60 to $120, depending on where you get the Prizm, and whether it's new or used.

Electronics: I hope they support third-party development thoroughly as well, but we shall see. Everything is still up in the air at this point.
Quote:
I hope that TI support the hacking community, if they do, we'll have one awesome piece of hardware with lots of hacking and programming opportunities.

Exactly. The problem is, it's very far from guaranteed that they will support expanded usage of their (currently unknown) 84+ C hardware and software...
Well, there is an i/o port. So that gives some perspective.
Did Cemetech get this scoop first?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours