So, I'm at my grandparents for winter break and I found this old tv in their basement. I also found a 3.5 mm stereo jack to AV style cable converter. So I put the two and two together and hooked the audio from a computer to the video input on the TV and got a cool oscilloscope effect shown in this video:

I want to know, though, if I can use this newfound knowledge to make pictures on the screen. Basically giving a video input it would normally be receiving but from an audio source. What do you think? It beats reading old books Razz
A small bump and update:

I have figured out that the TV's refresh rate can fluctuate. If I give it a strong click before I play what I want it to show then it uses that click as the top of the screen every time. Also if I play the sine wave loud enough it also works and the lines on the screen don't move. Pretty exciting! Smile I still haven't figured out pictures though or if they're even possible.
Botboy3000 wrote:
I want to know, though, if I can use this newfound knowledge to make pictures on the screen. Basically giving a video input it would normally be receiving but from an audio source. What do you think? It beats reading old books Razz
Probably not. Looks like you're feeding it a composite input, with what I assume is an NTSC TV. Consequently the expected input is NTSC without any RF component, which means a signal with components in the range approx. (-1.25,4.75) MHz. Given that scale, any audio signal you might be able to generate it basically rounds off to being DC (up to about 20 kHz). You'd have some control over luminance around DC, but not much resolution.

Quote:
I have figured out that the TV's refresh rate can fluctuate. If I give it a strong click before I play what I want it to show then it uses that click as the top of the screen every time. Also if I play the sine wave loud enough it also works and the lines on the screen don't move.
It might be (mis)detecting some part of the signal as vsync I guess. You might be clipping, which could be seen as a delimiter of some kind within the signal. Demodulation at the TV is almost certainly a set of filters which could be confused by particularly broken signals.

NTSC sync:
Would it be possible to get this to work with a calculator, using 3.5mm to 2.5mm converter and something like mobiletunes?
Ha! You know what? I was going to test it but I didn't have a calculator with mobiletunes on it and I'm no longer at my grandparents house. But it would work the same. I was playing youtube videos and watching the screen and it was pretty cool Smile so you're right, it would work.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours