Those of you who frequent IRC may have seen me talking about a game I've been cooking up. I'm looking at you, pimath :p . Anyway, I'm here to announce the first version of this game. It's a variation of the classic sliding tile game. I hope I can get more into this. Download here
Nicely done! I just tried it out, works pretty well! How many levels have you created for this game? It seems that I have already beaten it... It just seems to quit all of the sudden. Anyways, good luck, looks like it could be a really great program!
The puzzles need more complexity, but great graphics! what is the end-of-level graphic supposed to be?
The puzzles are currently just placeholders. Harder puzzles will be added later, or I can take suggestions.
multiple "room"ed puzzles. Invert, logic gates, etc.
I just tried this and it was great! Nice work!

Certainly adding other features would make this a cool game, perhaps different tile types that do certain things, or can be interacted with in a particular way, eg. "spike" tiles that you need to avoid, "portal" tiles, etc.
Going to have to zoom in for this level idea. It's possible, just add hidden paths. More like these please? https://sites.google.com/site/eightrandompics/home/hahahaahdhf.PNG

You should actually create a title screen that says "Towers (or some other name)"
Progress: Spikes are closer to being implemented and I also kinda have a par system working.
ordelore wrote:
Progress: Spikes are closer to being implemented and I also kinda have a par system working.

Nice! Sounds like it is moving right along! Do you think that you will implement teleporters or something like that?
Until I figure out how to pull a single number from a tilemap, no. Runner112/Hayleia/Matref/Pimath: Any advice?
ordelore wrote:
Until I figure out how to pull a single number from a tilemap, no. Runner112/Hayleia/Matref/Pimath: Any advice?

I believe that you could take the current column location, and multiply this by the row... Just some advice.
Currently, the character's sprite's location are pixel coordinates, which is why the end of each level is in the same place. Conclusion: Could I revamp how I handle movement? Yes, but that would be engine rewrite #3.
ordelore wrote:
Currently, the character's sprite's location are pixel coordinates, which is why the end of each level is in the same place. Conclusion: Could I revamp how I handle movement? Yes, but that would be engine rewrite #3.

Ah, that could tend to be difficult. So are you using pxl-test in order to see if there is a block or not?
That's how my first engine tested for the ending tile. However, when the character moves onto the tile, it overwrites the ending tile.
ordelore wrote:
That's how my first engine tested for the ending tile. However, when the character moves onto the tile, it overwrites the ending tile.

Perhaps you could store the the value of the location of the player at this point, and then redraw it when the player moves off of it? Not sure if this is possible, but perhaps there is something along those lines.
So you said you had an 8x12 tilemap so im going to assume you have 8pxl wide tiles

You stated that your sprites location is stored in pxl form.
So what you need todo is take those pxl values and convert them to match the tilemap.

so something like this should work (pseudo code coming up)

TileVal = (X/8)+((y/8)*12)

What that does is takes X and since your tiles are 8pxls wide we can divide by 8 to get its X tile location.

For the Y Value we do the same but then times it by 12 because we have 12 tiles in each row.

This should return the location in block of memory that points to your tile. Note some casing may need to me applied but that's the gist of it!
About tilemaps, that should help.
matrefeytontias wrote:
About tilemaps, that should help.

That's actually what my tilemapping code is based on.
Geekboy: That is perfect! Axe is opening my eyes to lower level things so quickly.
Np when I am working on RPG's with iambian This is the general stuff I have to understand to add stuff to his engines as they were always a little...Odd? But yeah your just translating between the 2 different ranges. and one is thankfully an even division between the two so it makes conversion rather painless ^^ Note: test that severly that was written when i was kinda just running with the numbers that poped into my head but it should give you the basics of what you need todo
I've been working on this project, however sporadically. Finals are not fun. Neutral
Anyone know a good way to store data for my tilemaps in different levels? I originally used one big tilemap, but it got too painful when I decided to check for the value of a specific section of the tilemap. However, Axe does not recognize GDB2 as a token. Is that a bug report or an understood problem?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours