I could use some help with mod_rewrite for apache. My new web host puts all of the sub domains in a folder under the doc root of the main site, I want to effectively move the main site's doc root down a folder, I know this can be done with mod_rewrite and a rewrite rule but I am not sure exactly how to do it. I basically want to rewrite all url's in a host to a folder other than the current one, can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
Glenn

EDIT: would this work?
Quote:
RewriteRule $1 /foldername/$1
No, that wouldn't work. mod_rewrite uses regular expressions to filter what it should rewrite and how to do it.

Code:
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ subdirectory/$1 [L]

What's it do? Filters for any number of any character [.*], groups that string into something you can reference in the replacement expression [(.*)], and wraps it in the magic start/end characters (^(.*)$]. The [L] signals to mod_rewrite that it should stop rewriting if the input url matches this one.

If you don't know regular expressions, I highly recommend learning.
The Tari wrote:
No, that wouldn't work. mod_rewrite uses regular expressions to filter what it should rewrite and how to do it.

Code:
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ subdirectory/$1 [L]

What's it do? Filters for any number of any character [.*], groups that string into something you can reference in the replacement expression [(.*)], and wraps it in the magic start/end characters (^(.*)$]. The [L] signals to mod_rewrite that it should stop rewriting if the input url matches this one.

If you don't know regular expressions, I highly recommend learning.

This is still now working, 500 error pages, any ideas? I will be in IRC and for speed lets try to discuss there for a little bit.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours