w.r.t. Mark: it's certainly possible, and still close enough to the source for my tastes, though I was under the impression that his following of Peter happened while Peter was following Jesus.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Which is why I called them crazy, right? Oh, wait, no I didn't. I said they were biased. Again, reading comprehension FTL.

*takes the bait*
Kllrnohj wrote:
I really don't feel like validating your source - a source that is obviously crazy.

Oh, wait, yes you did. Again, short-term memory ftl. I'm also not sure I want to consider the implications of me having poor reading comprehension, though I'm certainly willing to admit the possibility, since I've consistently placed in the 99th percentile state and nationwide for the last 12 years or so. I guess our educational system is even more failtastic than I thought it was Wink

Kllrnohj wrote:

Right, just like wikipedia Rolling Eyes

Which also openly admits that Ouija boards have a long history of being associated with people developing serious psychological issues, which, interestingly enough, are the most common symptom of demon-posession in the Bible.

Wikipedia:
a) The primary purpose of Ouija boards is to communicate with spirits (obviously in context when they say purportedly they aren't challenging whether or not that is the main purpose, but whether or not they successfully accomplish that purpose)
b) Ouija boards can historically shown to be associated with the rise of serious psychological conditions
Christian tradition:
a) communicating with spirits is dangerous
b) the purpose of a Ouija board is to communicate with spirits
c) people who use Ouija boards frequently begin exhibiting symptoms of demon possession.

And regardless of whether or not beliefs about evil spirits and demonic possession are true, they should not be made light of as long as there are still places in the world where belief in spirits leads children to be ritually sacrificed.

Quote:
Oh sure, change the topic because you can't find evidence rather than just admitting that the story isn't true. I get it.

I'm not going to bother debating a point that is both theologically irrelevant and which I have already conceded. You'll notice that

Quote:
Have you ever been online? Honestly? People say crap all the time that is completely wrong, even when they aren't anonymous. Hell, journalists prove that many times each and every day.

People tend to do that when they have freedom of speech or a guarantee of anonymity. You don't say things like that publicly in support of a belief that's already gotten people killed unless you believe it. UFO conspiracies are all fun and games until the government starts arresting and assassinating anyone who talks about UFOs Wink Which to my knowledge hasn't happened yet, leaving UFO conspiracists free to say whatever they want without fear of retribution.

Quote:
Really? Is that why Christian beliefs vary wildly from one church to another? Because contradictions are the only ones that make any sort of sense? Razz

"In Essentials, Unity; in Non-essentials, Liberty; in All Things, Charity,"

The traditions which vary from church to church tend to not even be related to the Bible. Infant vs adult baptism, the idea of saints being able to intercede for people, varying positions on Biblical inerrancy, etc are all much later traditions, stemming largely from Catholic and Orthodox traditions, and a Protestant movement away from those traditions with a view that many of the more ritualized traditions were superstitions instated for political power rather than spiritual advancement, and more recently based on reactions against the perceived attempts of atheist/physicalist worldview to attack faith.

I'd also like to mention that your recurrent smirking that Christians are slowly capitulating to science seems to be based on the same faulty Charles Darwin-centric view of history that gave rise to the current movement in the church against science.

Here are a couple quotes by St Augustine, dating from early 5th century AD.
Quote:
It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation.

Quote:
With the scriptures it is a matter of treating about the faith. For that reason, as I have noted repeatedly, if anyone, not understanding the mode of divine eloquence, should find something about these matters [about the physical universe] in our books, or hear of the same from those books, of such a kind that it seems to be at variance with the perceptions of his own rational faculties, let him believe that these other things are in no way necessary to the admonitions or accounts or predictions of the scriptures. In short, it must be said that our authors knew the truth about the nature of the skies, but it was not the intention of the Spirit of God, who spoke through them, to teach men anything that would not be of use to them for their salvation.

And both Philo and Augustine were seriously opposed to a literal 7-day interpretation of the creation story, though I'm having difficulty locating the related quotes from their writing.
elfprince13 wrote:
*takes the bait*

Oh, wait, yes you did. Again, short-term memory ftl. I'm also not sure I want to consider the implications of me having poor reading comprehension, though I'm certainly willing to admit the possibility, since I've consistently placed in the 99th percentile state and nationwide for the last 12 years or so. I guess our educational system is even more failtastic than I thought it was Wink

Oh, a swing and a miss. You really aren't capable of tracking multiple subjects, are you? This whole thread has just jumbled up into a big ball for you, hasn't it?

Your source: Crazy
Google results: Biased

You said I called the google results crazy, I did no such thing.

Again, reading comprehension. I think Wal-Mart sells it now, go buy some.

Quote:
Which also openly admits that Ouija boards have a long history of being associated with people developing serious psychological issues, which, interestingly enough, are the most common symptom of demon-posession in the Bible.

Wikipedia:
a) The primary purpose of Ouija boards is to communicate with spirits (obviously in context when they say purportedly they aren't challenging whether or not that is the main purpose, but whether or not they successfully accomplish that purpose)
b) Ouija boards can historically shown to be associated with the rise of serious psychological conditions
Christian tradition:
a) communicating with spirits is dangerous
b) the purpose of a Ouija board is to communicate with spirits
c) people who use Ouija boards frequently begin exhibiting symptoms of demon possession.

And regardless of whether or not beliefs about evil spirits and demonic possession are true, they should not be made light of as long as there are still places in the world where belief in spirits leads children to be ritually sacrificed.

If you honestly think that your crazy source reads at all similarly to the Wikipedia article, then there really is no point to debate as you can't actually think for yourself.

Quote:
People tend to do that when they have freedom of speech or a guarantee of anonymity. You don't say things like that publicly in support of a belief that's already gotten people killed unless you believe it. UFO conspiracies are all fun and games until the government starts arresting and assassinating anyone who talks about UFOs Wink Which to my knowledge hasn't happened yet, leaving UFO conspiracists free to say whatever they want without fear of retribution.

Bwahahahahaha, you have got to be shitting me. Seriously? People right and say things that aren't true that get them in trouble all the time. And the letters written back in Jesus' time pretty much are anonymous. Not that that actually matters, as people still said and made up crap that got them in trouble.

If you honestly think that a fear of being caught lying means that everyone 2,000 years ago told the truth, then you really are an idiot.

Quote:
I'd also like to mention that your recurrent smirking that Christians are slowly capitulating to science seems to be based on the same faulty Charles Darwin-centric view of history that gave rise to the current movement in the church against science.

lol wut? What does Charles Darwain have to do with this? Please tell me you aren't so naive as to think Church vs. Science has been at all a recent development. 200 years before Darwin, Galileo was being shut down by the church for saying that the earth revolved around the sun for crying out loud.

Quote:
Here are a couple quotes by St Augustine, dating from early 5<sup>th</sup> century AD.
Quote:
It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation.

Quote:
With the scriptures it is a matter of treating about the faith. For that reason, as I have noted repeatedly, if anyone, not understanding the mode of divine eloquence, should find something about these matters [about the physical universe] in our books, or hear of the same from those books, of such a kind that it seems to be at variance with the perceptions of his own rational faculties, let him believe that these other things are in no way necessary to the admonitions or accounts or predictions of the scriptures. In short, it must be said that our authors knew the truth about the nature of the skies, but it was not the intention of the Spirit of God, who spoke through them, to teach men anything that would not be of use to them for their salvation.

And both Philo and Augustine were seriously opposed to a literal 7-day interpretation of the creation story, though I'm having difficulty locating the related quotes from their writing.

I guess those 2 people define the Church's stance? Really not sure what the point of that is, as you just provided two people who agree with me and not with you, but thanks.
Those two people don't support your stance of atheism, they say that science contradicts the bible sometimes, because the writers were not trying to explain science. I know my explanation is wordy, but basically, elf didn't contradict himself.
Will_W wrote:
Those two people don't support your stance of atheism, they say that science contradicts the bible sometimes, because the writers were not trying to explain science. I know my explanation is wordy, but basically, elf didn't contradict himself.

Good job keeping up with the conversation. I'm not arguing for atheism, I'm arguing against a literally interpretation of the bible, which those two people definitely agree with.
Kllrnohj wrote:
You said I called the google results crazy, I did no such thing.

Again, reading comprehension. I think Wal-Mart sells it now, go buy some.

Indeed I did not, funny how these things come back and bite you in the arse when you harp on them.

You discuss Google Search and its lack of unbiased results, and then call my source on archaeological evidence of the Bible "obviously crazy" because the same site also discusses Ouija boards in a spiritual context.

I make a snide remark about your perception filter that everything is biased because you can't find any sources to validate your claims, and then return to discussing your own blatant bias against any claims of spiritual activity.

Quote:
If you honestly think that your crazy source reads at all similarly to the Wikipedia article, then there really is no point to debate as you can't actually think for yourself.

Did I say they read similarly? I was merely demonstrating that Wikipedia provides background information which supports their "crazy" claims in the light of a spiritual worldview.

Quote:
Bwahahahahaha, you have got to be shitting me. Seriously? People write and say things that aren't true that get them in trouble all the time. And the letters written back in Jesus' time pretty much are anonymous. Not that that actually matters, as people still said and made up crap that got them in trouble.

Your ignorance of Biblical history is astounding. Paul was in no way writing those letters anonymously. And in fact a significant number of them were written while under house arrest for the content of his previous letters, and he demanded based on his status as a Roman citizen to testify before the emperor himself on the matter, a demand which eventually resulted in his execution.

Quote:
0x5 wut? What does Charles Darwain have to do with this? Please tell me you aren't so naive as to think Church vs. Science has been at all a recent development. 200 years before Darwin, Galileo was being shut down by the church for saying that the earth revolved around the sun for crying out loud.

Charles Darwin is very much the source of the current reaction against science. Galileo was doing just fine until rival academics bribed the church into taking action against him.

Quote:
I guess those 2 people define the Church's stance?

They are two of the most respected theologians in church history.

Quote:
Really not sure what the point of that is, as you just provided two people who agree with me and not with you, but thanks.

Have I, at any point, in this entire discussion, argued in favor of a literal 7 day creation, or faith trumping science in any way?
However to clarify, my stance is as follows:
a) Religion and science are equally valid forms of pursuing truth, both grounded in reason and imagination, both requiring some amount of faith in the conclusion, and both ultimately leading to the same truth, and if they do not lead to the same conclusion then one, or both, have reached faulty conclusions.
b) Science is limited to making claims about the physical world, and any attempt to prove or disprove the existence of the spiritual realm through deductive reasoning will end up begging the question in some form or another.
c) A case for atheism or for (n-)theism can be made through induction, however a deist universe would be functionally indistinguishable from an atheist one, and a polytheist universe fails on the grounds that multiple omnipotent beings could not possibly result in a consistent universe (without which reason is meaningless) and would have a high probability of mutual annihilation. This leaves atheism and monotheism as the only reasonable conclusions, with agnosticism as a refuge for those who truly can't make up their minds. Note that I'm lumping naturalism and atheism together as natural bedfellows, since I'm unaware of any worldviews that acknowledge the spiritual realm while denying the existence of any sort of deity.
d) My own personal experiences, and those of family members who have spent various portions of the last three decades in the mission field, lead me to belief in a spiritual realm and a universe whose behavior can not be described by a purely physical system. Relatedly, C.S. Lewis makes a strong case that reason itself is invalid unless we live in a universe which is not purely material.
e) Accepting that we live in a universe which is both physical and spiritual in nature, and which can not possibly by polytheistic, we are left with monotheism.
f) Time, superstition, and human error have left their marks on all major monotheistic religions, however Islam seems to have the weakest historical basis (all primary documents have been destroyed), and its primary truth-claim is based on the evidence of literary excellence (that the Qur'an is a work of such surpassingly obvious literary beauty that it could only be the word of God). Close analysis of it's descriptions of the life of Jesus offer a view of a God who is deceptive and/or incompetent. This leaves Judaism and Christianity, and of these only Christianity offers an explanation of a God who is both perfectly loving and perfectly just, and is intended to supersede Jewish law anyway.
g) Once you accept the spiritual truth of Christianity, the Bible offers a wide range of incredibly useful background information: advice on leading a lifestyle consistent with a Christian worldview, narrative which describes the events that are the basis for Christianity, historical and cultural background on the Jewish people, and a lot of chat logs in which God reveals parts of His nature to chosen messengers for the Jewish people.

As far as I'm aware, every statement I've made thus far has been in line with these beliefs, or to clarify the underlying rationale behind beliefs of various other Christians (with which I'm fairly familiar).
elfprince13 wrote:
Indeed I did not, funny how these things come back and bite you in the arse when you harp on them.

elfprince13 wrote:
Furthermore your only basis for the claim that they are crazy stems from the fact that you yourself do not believe in anything spiritual.

Well I'll be damned, look at that. Funny how these things come back and bite you in the arse.

Quote:
You discuss Google Search and its lack of unbiased results, and then call my source on archaeological evidence of the Bible "obviously crazy" because the same site also discusses Ouija boards in a spiritual context.

Saying it is in a "spiritual context" doesn't suddenly make crazy become sane. Its still crazy. I have no idea how you can read that page and not come to the obvious conclusion that the author believes that the Ouija board actually causes evil (evil like glowing eyes watching you) and that things like witchcraft are real (as in, they can actually cast spells and whatnot)

Quote:
I make a snide remark about your perception filter that everything is biased because you can't find any sources to validate your claims, and then return to discussing your own blatant bias against any claims of spiritual activity.

"perception filter"? The only one filtering perception here is you. A christian website is obviously biased. I'm not claiming everything is biased because they don't agree with me. How can you suck at reading this bad?

kllrnohj wrote:
It has nothing to do with disagreeing with me, and instead has to do with their domain names being "ohmygodthebiblemakesmeorgasm.com". I didn't even bother to click on them to see if the agreed or disagreed, I just skipped them.

Quote:
Did I say they read similarly? I was merely demonstrating that Wikipedia provides background information which supports their "crazy" claims in the light of a spiritual worldview.

No, it really doesn't. And again, throwing "in a spiritual worldview" on there doesn't make the crazy become sane.

Quote:
Your ignorance of Biblical history is astounding. Paul was in no way writing those letters anonymously. And in fact a significant number of them were written while under house arrest for the content of his previous letters, and he demanded based on his status as a Roman citizen to testify before the emperor himself on the matter, a demand which eventually resulted in his execution.

Because Paul was the *ONLY* one writing letters, right? There weren't any other letters written that were anonymous? Like, say, the gospel of matthew? Or, say, 3-6 of the letters of Paul?

And I'm not really sure how you can claim that people wouldn't make stuff up because they would get in trouble, only for those same people to *gasp* get in trouble. And, of course, there is a difference between believing something is true and that something actually being true. Group hallucinations are not unheard of.

Quote:
Charles Darwin is very much the source of the current reaction against science.

Or so you claim. I disagree, and say that the cause of the current reaction against science is the same as in Galileo's day: people who think religion is a substitute for science.

Quote:
Galileo was doing just fine until rival academics bribed the church into taking action against him.

[citation needed]

Quote:
Have I, at any point, in this entire discussion, argued in favor of a literal 7 day creation, or faith trumping science in any way?

Argued in favor of? No, but you have defended that position, thus this topic's revival.
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Furthermore your only basis for the claim that they are crazy stems from the fact that you yourself do not believe in anything spiritual.

Well I'll be damned, look at that. Funny how these things come back and bite you in the arse.

And in that quote I was not talking about your Google Search. ^_^ Reading comprehension fail.

Quote:
Saying it is in a "spiritual context" doesn't suddenly make crazy become sane. Its still crazy.

A lot of "superstitious nonsense" actually has a good deal of reasoning behind it, based on the belief that we live in a universe which is not purely physical. To be fair, there's still a lot of "superstitious nonsense" out there (like throwing a pinch of salt over your shoulder, etc), but the caution against Ouija boards at least makes a good deal of sense.

Quote:
and that things like witchcraft are real (as in, they can actually cast spells and whatnot)

You should avoid visiting the more remote parts of Haiti or Madagascar. Casting spells in the Harry Potter sense may be nonsense, and most "folk magic" is too, or is based on herbal knowledge, but at the same time I also believe that it is possible to interact with spiritual beings, and that most of the ones who would respond to such interaction are not friendly to human interests, and that doing so can have very dangerous consequences.

Quote:
A christian website is obviously biased.

I'm sure it is, but you still have been unable to produce evidence that they're actually *wrong*

Quote:
Because Paul was the *ONLY* one writing letters, right

Did I cite any letters not by Paul? Are such letters in any way relevant to a discussion of whether or not Paul would have been bragging about his 500 eyewitnesses if he didn't have them?

Quote:
And I'm not really sure how you can claim that people wouldn't make stuff up because they would get in trouble, only for those same people to *gasp* get in trouble.

Can you spot the circular reasoning?
kllrnohj: They made it up.
me: why would the give up their life for a fiction they invented? Maybe its not fiction.
kllrnohj: I'm not sure how you can claim they wouldn't do that, since they did.

Your conclusion (that they died for a fiction of their own invention) is based on the very thing you're trying to prove (that their story is a fiction of their own invention). Try again.

Quote:
And, of course, there is a difference between believing something is true and that something actually being true. Group hallucinations are not unheard of.

Group hallucinations over a geographically diverse area, for a week. Good call mate.

Quote:
Or so you claim. I disagree, and say that the cause of the current reaction against science is the same as in Galileo's day: people who think religion is a substitute for science.

More specifically, people who feel that their religion is, in some way, being threatened by science. The primary (perceived) scientific threat to Christianity of the last 100 years is without a doubt, the theory of evolution, and the modern YEC movement is entirely a reaction against that.

Quote:
[citation needed]

Quote:
One of the first suggestions of heresy that Galileo had to deal with came in 1613 from a professor of philosophy, Cosimo Boscaglia, who was neither a theologian nor a priest. In conversation with Galileo's patron, Cosimo II de' Medici, Boscaglia gave the opinion that the telescopic discoveries were valid, but the motion of the Earth was obviously contrary to Scripture. Galileo was defended on the spot by a Benedictine abbot, Benedetto Castelli, who was also a professor of mathematics and a former student of Galileo's. This exchange, reported to Galileo by Castelli, led Galileo to write a letter to Castelli, expounding his views on what he considered the most appropriate way of treating scriptural passages which made assertions about natural phenomena.[7] Later, in 1615, he expanded this into his much longer Letter to the Grand Duchess Christina.

Quote:
Robert Cardinal Bellarmine, one of the most respected Catholic theologians of the time, was called on to adjudicate the dispute between Galileo and his opponents, including both religious zealots and secular university professors. The question of heliocentrism had first been raised with Cardinal Bellarmine, in the case of Paolo Antonio Foscarini, a Carmelite father; Foscarini had published a book, Lettera ... sopra l'opinione ... del Copernico, which took the dangerous step of attempting to reconcile Copernicus with the biblical passages that seemed to be in contradiction. Bellarmine at first expressed the opinion that Copernicus's book would not be banned, but would at most require some editing so as to present the theory purely as a calculating device for "saving the appearances".

Quote:
Hence this topics revival

You'll notice that the two posts I have made to reinstate discussion in this thread were,
(a) A link to an article discusssing free will
(b) A book recommendation for anyone with an interest in discussing the intersection of religion and science, which, interestingly enough, is a book heavily in support of theistic evolution
elfprince13 wrote:
And in that quote I was not talking about your Google Search. ^_^ Reading comprehension fail.

Correction, writing fail. The "they" clearly refers to "all the search results"

Quote:
"All the sources I can find disagree with me, so they must all be biased or lying about easy to check facts." Furthermore your only basis for the claim that they are crazy

Nowhere do you switch from "all the sources" (google results, as the only other subject was the *single* source that was crazy), to the source I called crazy.

I can only read what you write.

Quote:
A lot of "superstitious nonsense" actually has a good deal of reasoning behind it

No it doesn't, that is why its nonsense.

Quote:
but the caution against Ouija boards at least makes a good deal of sense.

How so? How is my subconscious moving a piece of plastic going to cause untold evil?

Quote:
You should avoid visiting the more remote parts of Haiti or Madagascar.

Damn, and I was just planning my next vacation there Razz

Quote:
I'm sure it is, but you still have been unable to produce evidence that they're actually *wrong*

I also clearly stated I didn't bother going to them as I was too lazy to validate them. Fact checking a biased source takes a lot of time and work.

Quote:
Did I cite any letters not by Paul?

Did I limit my statement to just what you cited?

Quote:
Can you spot the circular reasoning?
kllrnohj: They made it up.
me: why would the give up their life for a fiction they invented? Maybe its not fiction.
kllrnohj: I'm not sure how you can claim they wouldn't do that, since they did.

Your conclusion (that they died for a fiction of their own invention) is based on the very thing you're trying to prove (that their story is a fiction of their own invention). Try again.

Er, no. That was *your* reason. I was just pointing out that it contradicts itself. My reason is that they lied or embellished, its that simple. People lie all the time, I don't need a "reason" or "justification" for it - its human nature, especially since my explanation falls in line with what is known (dead people don't start walking and talking by themselves)

Quote:
Group hallucinations over a geographically diverse area, for a week. Good call mate.

The power of suggestion is quite real. The mere suggestion of something exists can cause people to see it even if though it isn't there.

That said, can you say for *certain* that those 500 people saw the same guy who died, and not just someone who looked similar? Can you say for certain that those 500 people even exist, and weren't just made up by Paul or whoever?

Answer is, of course, no, you can't. You have to have "faith" that it happened.

Quote:
Quote:
One of the first suggestions of heresy that Galileo had to deal with came in 1613 from a professor of philosophy, Cosimo Boscaglia, who was neither a theologian nor a priest. In conversation with Galileo's patron, Cosimo II de' Medici, Boscaglia gave the opinion that the telescopic discoveries were valid, but the motion of the Earth was obviously contrary to Scripture. Galileo was defended on the spot by a Benedictine abbot, Benedetto Castelli, who was also a professor of mathematics and a former student of Galileo's. This exchange, reported to Galileo by Castelli, led Galileo to write a letter to Castelli, expounding his views on what he considered the most appropriate way of treating scriptural passages which made assertions about natural phenomena.[7] Later, in 1615, he expanded this into his much longer Letter to the Grand Duchess Christina.

Quote:
Robert Cardinal Bellarmine, one of the most respected Catholic theologians of the time, was called on to adjudicate the dispute between Galileo and his opponents, including both religious zealots and secular university professors. The question of heliocentrism had first been raised with Cardinal Bellarmine, in the case of Paolo Antonio Foscarini, a Carmelite father; Foscarini had published a book, Lettera ... sopra l'opinione ... del Copernico, which took the dangerous step of attempting to reconcile Copernicus with the biblical passages that seemed to be in contradiction. Bellarmine at first expressed the opinion that Copernicus's book would not be banned, but would at most require some editing so as to present the theory purely as a calculating device for "saving the appearances".

And no where does that say anything about a bribe. Again, [citation needed]

Quote:
You'll notice that the two posts I have made to reinstate discussion in this thread were,

I never said it was *YOUR* post that revived the thread. Bit arrogant there, aren't you? Wink (magicdan's is what really got the thread rolling again)
This is great. How much time do you guys have to spend on stuff like this every day? Seriously, we should be selling tickets to this. It just goes on and on and on...
jbr wrote:
This is great. How much time do you guys have to spend on stuff like this every day? Seriously, we should be selling tickets to this. It just goes on and on and on...
Yup, I find it pretty amusing. It's not either of them are going to convince the other. One wise person I know called it mental m*....
KermMartian wrote:
mental m*....

Question
jbr: Because I don't have a steady job, nor do I have school Very Happy
Kerm: stfu Razz you know as well as anyone else that when someone is wrong on the Internet, it's a solemn duty to correct them.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Correction, writing fail. The "they" clearly refers to "all the search results"

It clearly doesn't, because I wrote it, and I say so, and also because I implicitly changed the subject from "all sources" by clearly referencing the people that you called crazy (previously established, by your own statement, to be that one source). Not perfect writing form, but most people are capable of comprehending an implied change of subject, especially when what they're reading is a clear response to a chunk of text about the same two subjects, in the same order.

Quote:
No it doesn't, that is why its nonsense.

Do repeated denials help you feel better? The following scenario has happened 3 or 4 times in this thread.
You: they don't have reason's, they're crazy/stupid.
Me: actually, while you may disagree with the fundamental premise of their reasoning, they do have some reasons, and here they are.
You: nope, no reasons, none at all.

Quote:
How so? How is my subconscious moving a piece of plastic going to cause untold evil?

It isn't. But inviting unfriendly spiritual presences to move it by taking control of your body just might.

Quote:
Er, no. That was *your* reason. I was just pointing out that it contradicts itself. My reason is that they lied or embellished, its that simple. People lie all the time, I don't need a "reason" or "justification" for it - its human nature, especially since my explanation falls in line with what is known (dead people don't start walking and talking by themselves)

I think you're lying. You obviously want to hide the truth from everyone, and I don't need a reason or justification to believe so. /s
Once again, hilariously reminiscent of debating on Islamicity, where the default response after you highlight their invalid reasoning is that someone must be lying. Lets review this again.
Paul writes a letter, while under house arrest, advocating the beliefs that got him arrest in the first place, to his buddies in Corinth. He says "hey guys, this really weird thing happened where the Romans executed someone, and he came back to life, and 500 people (who are still alive in case you want to go ask them) saw him wandering around." These 500 people even include his mom and his 11 best friends, but actually, Paul was just pulling all of this out his arse to get himself executed for blasphemy and so that all his friends would know what a liar he was.
Makes total sense, I agree, Paul was probably lying. Rolling Eyes

If he was lying, or even if he just deserved to be chucked in the loony bin, we'd have some record of early churches noticing that he didn't actually have any eye witnesses

Quote:
That said, can you say for *certain* that those 500 people saw the same guy who died, and not just someone who looked similar?

Even if 480 of those people were hallucinating, you would think that someone's own mother and his best friends would notice that it wasn't actually him.

Quote:
Answer is, of course, no, you can't. You have to have "faith" that it happened.

Faith in much the same way that you have to have faith that the Holocaust happened, that George Washington was our first president, our that the Norman Invasion of England was led by William I.

Quote:

And no where does that say anything about a bribe. Again, [citation needed]

let me rephrase that:
"instigated"
The desired implication was that the church officials needed outside prodding from the academic community.
elfprince13 wrote:

Kerm: stfu Razz you know as well as anyone else that when someone is wrong on the Internet, it's a solemn duty to correct them.

Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/arguingOnTheInternet.gif

Duty Calls.
elfprince13 wrote:
But of course! Nevertheless, I can still mock you for it. Smile[/quote]
A quick jab at the idea that it takes a large population to reproduce and carry on the human race.

Every non-African human is descended from a small tribe of about 200 people.
elfprince13 wrote:
A quick jab at the idea that it takes a large population to reproduce and carry on the human race.

Every non-African human is descended from a small tribe of about 200 people.

lol good luck having that handle public scrutiny.

And the jesus freaks raged.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/07/03/turkey.religion.gameshow/index.html
How come nobody seems to think it could be a mix of both? Maybe god made the big bang which made everything? And why the hell do we even care? Its not like we're really going to go and make another *big bang* or ask god to make us another earth, so i really don't know why anyone would give a shit. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 16 of 21
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours