Doing a simple calculator doesn't require the flash, so the chip is fine. If there was a problem, the OS would completely freak out as you cannot erase a sector with a damaged bit.

A safer method than steps a and b is to write 0x0000 to 0x53 (someone correct me, it's either that or 0x56). The only problem with sending and stopping it is that the certificates can get damaged, and only if you don't stop the transfer very early on.

If you really don't want to do any programming or stopping transfers, I can modify my tiny os (COS) to simply invalidate the OS.
That was I was thinking as well, which is why I tossed in Flash-reading as an afterthought. Actually, that's not true, performing a calculation absolutely requires Flash, since every part of the OS is on the Flash chip.
I mean there is no flash writing per calculation. If there was, o_O your flash chip would die in no time.
For the time being, I have decided to get a new calculator. I will try the posted solutions at a later time. I borrowed a second calculator and I still have the same issues in sending over the program though.
AHelper: but it could easily be crashing reading some bad data out of Flash.
JPfowl wrote:
For the time being, I have decided to get a new calculator. I will try the posted solutions at a later time. I borrowed a second calculator and I still have the same issues in sending over the program though.
Can you share the program in question with us?
Got the sending error fixed. Had to send from a different computer. The computer in question would start sending the file, then lose connection partway through sending. Is it possible that this loss of communication, if done repeatedly, could damage the flash?
JPfowl wrote:
Got the sending error fixed. Had to send from a different computer. The computer in question would start sending the file, then lose connection partway through sending. Is it possible that this loss of communication, if done repeatedly, could damage the flash?
It's certainly possible, although I'd say someone improbable. Smile
Well there was the constant loss of communication while sensing and my calculator reset itself every time. It probably reset itself 50 times.
JPfowl wrote:
Well there was the constant loss of communication while sensing and my calculator reset itself every time. It probably reset itself 50 times.
Hmm, there was already something seriously wrong with your calculator. Actually, it DOES do a set of Flash page writes while sending the computer its variables listing (which BrandonW has ranted and raved about, as it's useless and wasteful), so something could have gotten damaged there, but it's of course wrong that it was having such problems in the first place.
I'm getting this error code too. I don't know why, it just happens after plug it in. When I try to send something to the calculator, it resets the connection and on the display there's a symbol for "downloading". It won't dissapear after plug the calc off, and after pressing clear it restarts with RAM clearing.
Also another USB Port won't work. I can't do anything now over computer...

Sorry for my bad english ^^
Did you try new batteries?
Necro Bump,
Just got a TI84+, used and it is doing the same things listed here, it is a 2.55MP, serial ends in AD, Boot code 1.03, just did a RAM reset and it still has problems. Has public knowledge on this subject changed over time?

Problem solved! Since this forum is the top result of the search engine hierarchy it is best to post it here. TI connect is so out of date that even the original 84 plus is incompatible. Use TI Connect CE as the name is a slight misnomer as it is compatible with the non-CE models but it actually works and it doesn't have the wait time of a 2000s program. I hope this was found helpful to somebody!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours