Talking to calculator over external hardware has always been a fun and challenging task. With article you can easily communicate on more then just the AVR platform. Using Energia, which is a modification of the Wiring and Arduino framework for use with Ti's Msp430 micro-controller line, One can use the arTICL library with minimal to no modification. The only change required was to change a NAN to a 0 for Energia seems to not understand NAN.

Using an msp430 launchpad with a MSP430G2553 MCU I was able to run one of the Example applications included with.

After flashing your MSP with the example code. Wiring up to your calculator is as simple as On the arduino. Pick out your digital pins. I used pins 9 and 10.

The final functional setup! My Ti-86 was used here for the sake of good picture quality. The CSE back-light was to bright for my camera. That being said it was tested on an 83/4+SE 84+CSE as well as this 86!

So using other hardware to interface with our beloved calculators, Easier then we thought. Using arTICL makes it much easier to the point of where using different hardware is almost trivial? Whats next? Maybe some wireless shenanigans. OR some really low power data logging. The MSP430 series line is a great set of chips for more low power applications which could be easily power right from the calculator with minimal impact on battery life.
This is really exciting; I'm happy to hear that it was so easy to get ArTICL working on the MSP430 like that. I do continue to be curious about how easily I could use the MSP430 in USB device mode for USB-based communication, including with the TI-84 Plus CE, but even this is an awesome start (and using TI microcontrollers with TI calculators has a certain elegant symmetry to it Wink ). I already know the answer to this, so I'll phrase it as a statement rather than a leading question: geekboy has also tested this with a TI-84 Plus CSE and found it to work equally well; he used the TI-86 for photos because his camera didn't like the backlit screen on the TI-84 Plus CSE.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours