For part of my game, I need to be able to take the direction you're facing and scan in front of you, forward about 10 units, and then render anything that is in that distance, like you're looking at it. I need to return a distance factor, out of 10, where 10 is farthest, and what is there. I asked on omnimaga and got a few suggestions, so just wanted to ask here and compare ideas for the fastest way to do it. Thanks.
bump!!

[quote=ACagliano]
Also, I need to ask an important question. The sprites for this game will potentially be 7440 bytes in total. The tilemap will be something to the effect of 80x60, another 4800 bytes. I could compress the data, but:

1. With the sprites, Im concerned about how to know the width, height of the sprite for the routine (they aren't all the same)

2. In uncompressed form, 14,240 bytes total. I'm concerned memory will be an issue. Yet if I throw some of this data into archive, reading from it will interfere with the interrupt-based greyscale routine I'm using.
*poke Sorunome: true?
[/quote]

Edit: Never mind on this. I forgot that a 20x40 sprite is actually only 3x40 in memory. So this is actually less than 1000 bytes for sprites :p

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours