Well, I finally got a torx-six and am ready to begin! this calc mod (which I decided will get the name of Ti-8Z (subject to change if anyone can think of a better one)) will contain these changes:

• hinged LCD, flipping outward
  • LED Frontlighting (explained below)
  • Touchpad
  • A giant stickered design (voted on here)

The LED Frontlighting is essentially like angling LEDs to point their light at the LCD when it is flipped out. This is likely the last thing im going to be working on, however, so it is a minor detail.

The current plan is that the LCD will flip from the top and out, so that i can place the touchpad where the LCD use to be. Of course, i accidentally broke the LCD Ribbon earlier, so this will wait until that has been repaired.

The calculator will also be getting a touchpad, much like UC2. however, instead of placing it behind the calculator in a semi-odd place, the touchpad will replace the LCD's current position. this is the part i'm currently preparing for.

Now, for some questions:
  • is the giant metal plate behind the LCD neccesary for its functioning well-being?
  • Can Kerm find a better picture of how he connected the touchpad to the calc? the ones in the UC2 project are a little hard to decipher.

Pictures to come soon.
LuxenD wrote:
Of course, i accidentally broke the LCD Ribbon earlier, so this will wait until that has been repaired.
You probably want a cable that's better-designed for repeated bending anyway.

Quote:
The calculator will also be getting a touchpad, much like UC2. however, instead of placing it behind the calculator in a semi-odd place, the touchpad will replace the LCD's current position. this is the part i'm currently preparing for.
That placement was to allow you to hold the calculator in one hand and use the touchpad, but I respect your design too.

Quote:
Now, for some questions:
  • is the giant metal plate behind the LCD neccesary for its functioning well-being?
  • Can Kerm find a better picture of how he connected the touchpad to the calc? the ones in the UC2 project are a little hard to decipher.
  • Metal plate: No. It's just to make your calculator feel heavier and more substantial.. Be very careful when you remove it, though. I recommend putting a few drops of isopropyl alcohol through the holes in the metal plate, waiting a while, then using a very thin piece of stiff plastic to slowly separate it, adding more drops of isopropyl alcohol to defeat the adhesive as necessary. Be very careful; you can permanently damage the LCD.
  • Better pictures: I think it would be more useful to you if I just skip straight to answering questions you may have about the details of connecting it.
repeated bending cable: where do you recommend getting one, and how difficult to replace (being 1 is easy, 10 is as difficult as getting the government working again before the deadline Razz)

touchpad: just my veiw, but that makes a bit more sense now.

Metal plate: sounds good, ill see what i can do!

about the touchpad: hmm.
when i see your pictures, the best i can come up with is that there are two locations where you could solder wires, 1 being the default plug and the second being where you actually put them. my touchpad doesnt seem to have that 2nd position, and i was wondering if maybe i wasnt seeing something properly.

the back of my touchpad:
Instead of pointing LED's at the LCD to frontlight it, try and see if you can get a broken GBA SP-001, the ones with a frontlight. The lighting will be more even and look better. Just my two cents Razz
i was going for as light of an LCD as i can, but that *might* be doable - could you perhaps find out how they do the lighting? i dont really want to backlight it (though it is doable and i might add front and back for the heck of it).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours