For all you mac users out there, I think this program (Delicious Library) is pretty nifty. I've spent about an hour scanning the first third of my book collection in, by way of bar code recognition with my iSight. Pretty nifty. It organizes pretty much everything you throw at it, including (so it claims) barcoded tools and apparel. I haven't tested the capacities too far yet, but I'm pretty impressed so far. Also:

http://sfgp.cemetech.net/deliciouslibrary/index.html
That's excellent! Bar code recognition is tough in computer vision, especially since they're pretty hard to register and to distinguish from other geometric patterns including the Moire effect. How close to the camera do you have to hold the book? Does it have to be upright and well-lit? Very nice, at any rate.
It doesn't deal well with glare, but the lighting doesn't have to be great either. It actually likes it better if the book is tilted somewhat (making the barcode vaguely trapezoidal) than if it has glare. It provides an approximate target region, on the on-screen image, to line the barcode up with, but it doesn't have to be in it exactly either.

[edit]

The bulk of my collection is up now. Still a few scattered books to be scanned, but I'm rather pleased with myself.
Necropost, but....just wrote an extension =) I also found out that the program integrates with the built-in Address Book to help keep track of who you loan things too.
Sidebar, what does this mean for that massive inventory of book cover images that you keep on this server? Very Happy
That's pretty nifty, regarding the original post. I assume it's more of a Home Inventory system for insurance purposes, but the web upload is rather interesting (and a method to show off).

I've found the application in the Mac App Store. I may have to purchase this; can the download on the website be used as a trial?
KermMartian wrote:
Sidebar, what does this mean for that massive inventory of book cover images that you keep on this server? Very Happy

Haha, it means I can keep track of who I've lent them to, and that I've added a massive inventory of Lego sets images to boot.

comicIDIOT wrote:
That's pretty nifty, regarding the original post. I assume it's more of a Home Inventory system for insurance purposes, but the web upload is rather interesting (and a method to show off).

It has a variety of uses, depending on what you want to do with it. I bring my laptop used-book shopping with me now to make sure I don't double-buy, and I can find out the used price of my stuff on Amazon. But if you're a compulsive inventory-keeper, it can handle tools and clothing and anything else you can find on Amazon. Also, I like knowing who has my books.

comicIDIOT wrote:
I may have to purchase this; can the download on the website be used as a trial?

Yes, it can.
Is there a version of this for real computers?
Yes. http://www.delicious-monster.com/
double trolololo
Delicious Library 3 has been released, but I strongly recommend not updating because scripting support is disabled, meaning this plugin will be dead in the water.
I noticed! I downloaded the Delicious Scanner for my phone a while ago but have yet to download DL3.

I didn't realize this topic was about a particular plugin until a few posts down. Did you perhaps mean to post in the plugins topic instead?

elfprince13 wrote:
Necropost, but....just wrote an extension =) I also found out that the program integrates with the built-in Address Book to help keep track of who you loan things too.
oh, woops, let me post in that thread as well. Should probably be in both.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours