I'm currently working on my first ever program called Picraft!!! This is my first time ever programming and I have decided to start by attempting a Terria related game. As of now the main features are:
•move around and fly
•dig thorough any block
•play on three types of worlds(flat, flat w/house, and hills)
•letter and symbol graphics(currently trying to make sprites, am finding it very challenging and would appreciate any help)
It's not much as you might expect but for my first ever program it's ok I guess. Things I would like to add but don't know how to program are:
•jump physics(flying is pretty pathetic)
•PLACING BLOCKS!!! Please, Please tell me how I can code this, as the game is quite lame w/o the ability to place blocks.
•graphics-any help would be appreciated
•random world generation-mine is pre-made
I know there are so many things that need improvement so please post any info you may know. Thanks for reading(I will try to upload a copy of the game so you can help improve it{you will get credit}-Piguy-3.14)
Nice to meet you Piguy-3.14. Why don't you check out the Intorduce yourself topic so we can learn more about you?
Also if you need help, it would be nice to know a few things:
-what language?
This sounds like a nice project, good luck!
Thanks for the help I'm in basic/hybrid basic.
Ahh, so which are you using?
-xLib
-DoorsCS
-Celtic
-Axe

There are a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head.
More specifically, which calculator? TI83+/84+? TI84PCSE? Others?
Doorscs

Ti-84 plus silver edition

So as I was saying do you know any way to implement placing blocks in ti-basic???

I know how to program basic(that's all I do at school) so this is going to be my first program as I can't think of much else

I've gotten the easy down I think I just need to know how to make random terrain place blocks and apply jump physics
Well you need some sort of data, list or matrix. Different numbers correspond to different 'blocks'. When placing a block set that corresponding data chunk from 0 to whatever block type they have. Figuring out what data chunk needs to be changed is up to how your character positioning is done.
Piguy, please don't double post unless your previous post is older than 24 hours. Feel free to use this -> <- button to edit posts if you have more content to add. SAX tells us when you update a post.
Piguy-3.14 wrote:
I'm currently working on my first ever program called Picraft!!! I'm 13 and this is my first time ever programming and I have decided to start by attempting a Terria related game. As of now the main features are:

As an added note. this is gonna be too hard. You're starting off way too ambitous. try a simpler project, get the techniques down for programming first.
In regards to Link, I think being ambitious is good. It pushes one to try and learn faster and more aggressively. Piguy: start with the easier things first and keep adding onto it.
Also it is okay if you add a new post, just not two in a row.
zeldaking wrote:
In regards to Link, I think being ambitious is good. It pushes one to try and learn faster and more aggressively. Piguy: start with the easier things first and keep adding onto it.
Also it is okay if you add a new post, just not two in a row.

It's not that it's bad. It's just that he might give up and lose interest.
Piguy: if someone has posted already, make a new post. If no one has posted, edit your previous post.
Also, there is a chatbox on the top-left of the screen. People have been trying to tell you things, and we can't get you to read it.
Ok so I've been programming graphics into Picraft and realized something-it runs WAY to slow so I am beginning to learn axe parser in order to speed it up, unfortunately that means I will have to recode the entire program in axe which will take quite a while, considering I don't know axe that well yet-Wish me luck!
By the way, more on picking good starting projects can be found in my editorial linked below. As other people said, starting in TI-BASIC with something a little smaller than the scope of this project will help you find your programming legs, then you can dive back into this project once you are more experienced:
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9110
:[________________]→pic1a
:pt-change(24,30,pic1a

that is an example of what part of my code looks like am trying to make it so you will be kept from going thorough blocks, any help
Just putting it out there that this project is officially done, if you wanna work on it feel free just give me partial credit:)
Piguy-3.14 wrote:
Just putting it out there that this project is officially done, if you wanna work on it feel free just give me partial credit:)
Done as in indefinitely put on hold? Is it at some kind of final point, or do you feel you've gotten it as far as you can or want to? Is the current code available somewhere should people wish to look at it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours