comicIDIOT wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Nintendo is the only one I see continuing to make consoles in the future, and only because they market to families and casual gamers who aren't concerned with power or visuals.

While you're right, I'm a casual gamer who isn't concerened with graphics or visuals but I also like the games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc that aren't being made for Wii. However, Black Ops 2 is on the WiiU and if more titles make their way to the WiiU I might be making a transition to it over the future PS4 and Xbox.

Those kinds of games will still exist, just as PC titles. And I'm sure there will be PCs designed to function with your TV rather than a computer monitor. Valve has already produced one. What I'm suggesting is that the idea of a console will become so synonymous with a gaming PC that they'll cease to be separate platforms. Your next console might not be a console, but a PC with a controller and HDMI output.
Whether it is or isn't, I refuse to invest in a "computer" where I can't resell my games. Luckily Nintendo has played their card and it's now up to Sony & Microsoft to (fully) play theirs. If the games on the next generation consoles are similar to Steam or digital only, I'll stop buying the new consoles. If the digital copies are 30-40 instead of 60, then maybe. Since that's roughly what I spend per game after I sell them back to GameStop anyways.
For what it's worth, here's what Carmack has to say:
Quote:
I can’t speak freely about PS4, but now that some specs have been made public, I can say that Sony made wise engineering choices.
Sarah wrote:
Look at consoles this way, by buying a console, you're essentially ensured that you have a system capable of running new games 4~8 years into the future. Whereas, with a computer, you have no guarantee whatsoever.

No, you do have that exact same guarantee. The same video cards that came out in 2005 when the PS3 & 360 were released will absolutely play today's games just fine. The catch is that you actually know how low "console quality" graphics are, which most aren't comfortable with.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Sarah wrote:
Look at consoles this way, by buying a console, you're essentially ensured that you have a system capable of running new games 4~8 years into the future. Whereas, with a computer, you have no guarantee whatsoever.

No, you do have that exact same guarantee. The same video cards that came out in 2005 when the PS3 & 360 were released will absolutely play today's games just fine. The catch is that you actually know how low "console quality" graphics are, which most aren't comfortable with.

That was more or less what I had said. Although there are cases in which a game is more optimized for a console than for the PC. For example, I have a laptop that runs Oblivion better than my Xbox does, yet Skyrim is unplayable on it even when everything is scaled down to the bare minimum.
DShiznit wrote:
For example, I have a laptop that runs Oblivion better than my Xbox does, yet Skyrim is unplayable on it even when everything is scaled down to the bare minimum.

What resolution are you attempting to play Skryim at? And is your laptop the god awful Intel graphics kind, with the world's worst drivers?
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
For example, I have a laptop that runs Oblivion better than my Xbox does, yet Skyrim is unplayable on it even when everything is scaled down to the bare minimum.

What resolution are you attempting to play Skryim at? And is your laptop the god awful Intel graphics kind, with the world's worst drivers?

Rolling Eyes

I think your internet-inflated self-righteous ego is getting in the way of your comprehension; it'd be wise to turn your "Smug Reply" posting quota down more than a few notches. Good Idea
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

No it has ATI radeon graphics(128mb VRAM I think, which is horrible now, but was decent in 05), and I tried running Skyrim at the lowest resolution I could. The effect isn't the same for all games or all franchises, Portal 2 as an example runs just as well on this laptop as it does on the Xbox. I'm guessing part of the process of optimizing games for consoles in some cases is scaling them back in ways that aren't available to PC users. At any rate, its a Craigslist laptop, so I never expected or would expect it to run modern games. I just wanted to make the point that you could have a computer that runs some console games better than the console, and some worse, depending on how the game is optimized for both platforms.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Rolling Eyes

I think your internet-inflated self-righteous ego is getting in the way of your comprehension; it'd be wise to turn your "Smug Reply" posting quota down more than a few notches. Good Idea

lol wut? And you're claiming *I* have a self-righteous ego?

Kindly go f**k yourself.

Side note, you may want to go look up the word "comprehension" in a dictionary.

Quote:
No it has ATI radeon graphics(128mb VRAM I think, which is horrible now, but was decent in 05), and I tried running Skyrim at the lowest resolution I could.

So your GPU was never as good as what was in a console. Why, then, are you making optimization claims about them?
I'm fairly certain comic speaks for all the admins here. Your posts have been getting more and more hostile, and less and less constructive. Please either remedy this or stop posting.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours