I've been working on a racing game for the contest on omnimaga, but I just couldn't finish it in time.

It can already render the track and has some collision checking, but it isn't complete yet. Bends for example don't have any collision checking. There's also AI, but it's a bit glitchy: it starts swinging across the track more and more, and when the track goes up, it just goes away, because the up and down sections aren't implemented in the AI yet.

For the rest it does support decorations for at the sides of the track, but I still have to make models for it and add some stuff in the model drawing routine. The checkered flag of the finish is handeled as one of those decorations.

I also need to fix the AI and implement acceleration/decelleration, and probably there will also come items to slow down oponents or to make you go faster.

The player model (the cube) is only temporary, and will probably be replaced by a sprite in later versions. It's a cube right now because I don't have a sprite routine yet.

Here's a screenshot:
This looks like a great start to the game! I think it will probably look a lot smoother once you implement proper acceleration and such. Is the falling down onto new tracks intentional or the rest of the glitches you mentioned? Is this pure z80 or Axe? Do you have a planned name for this game?
The falling on new tracks is intentional. When you fall of the track and reach a depth of -5, you are teleported to a height of 5 at the start of the segment you were on. It's meant to look like you're falling onto new tracks as some kind of dying 'cutscene'. But you sometimes fall trough the track at bends, and that is a glitch.

This game is pure z80, and I don't really know a name for it yet.
Is the jerky movement of the car a product of of the game, or just because you were only moving some of the time?
seana11 wrote:
Is the jerky movement of the car a product of of the game, or just because you were only moving some of the time?
If you watch carefully, all the rendering and rotation is smooth enough; he just doesn't have acceleration and deceleration, so the car simply stops immediately.
I'm seeing this as an amazing port of Super Mario Kart. But that could just be me. :p
tifreak8x wrote:
I'm seeing this as an amazing port of Super Mario Kart. But that could just be me. :p

It's actually closer to a port of Mario Kart 64. Super Mario Kart uses Mode 7 3D, which is basically a flat texture projected to look like the ground. By contrast, this game is using true 3D polygonal rendering, which is how he's getting slopes on his track and why the track itself looks like a strip of triangles.

And keep up the great work, ben_g! It's looking quite good right now.
Looks very nice! I'm impressed.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours