Well, ever since I installed XFCE, I can't start a new XWindows session. (Yes, I know XFCE has no new session button, but it doesn't work in KDE either). I'm pretty sure that the startx command is broken, given that it errors every time I run it. Sample output:

Quote:
[sean@Marvin ~]$ startx -- :3
xauth: creating new authority file /home/sean/.serverauth.4400

X.Org X Server 1.10.3
Release Date: 2011-07-08
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: x86-18 2.6.32-131.2.1.el6.x86_64
Current Operating System: Linux Marvin 2.6.40.3-0.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 16 04:10:59 UTC 2011 x86_64
Kernel command line: ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_marvin-lv_root rd_LVM_LV=vg_marvin/lv_root rd_LVM_LV=vg_marvin/lv_swap rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us rhgb quiet
Build Date: 11 July 2011 03:54:22PM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.10.3-1.fc15
Current version of pixman: 0.20.2
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.3.log", Time: Sun Sep 4 14:12:09 2011
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
gnome-session[4489]: WARNING: Unable to find required component 'gnome-shell'
gnome-session[4489]: WARNING: Unable to find default provider 'metacity' of required provider 'windowmanager'
gnome-session[4489]: WARNING: Unable to find required component 'gnome-panel'

waiting for X server to shut down

I type this command and am switched to tty9, which is blank for a bit, then shows this alert on a black background: "Failed to load session 'gnome'" with a logout button.

I'm pretty sure that this is caused by GNOME not being installed. If anyone has any ideas on how to start it with a different de, it would be greatly appreciated.
Umm, are you trying to start a new X11 session from within another X11 session?
Ooh! Pick me!

I use `xinit' to start a new X Server. xinit can take either: args for xterm (that is, if you don't supply a specific path) or a program with args to be run. I have a script, xgame, that runs a program in a new X Server.
Code:
#!/bin/bash

if [ -z "$1" ]; then
    echo "Usage: $0 [PROGRAM [ARGS]]"
    echo '       Runs PROGRAM with ARGS in a new X Server'
else
    xinit `which sh` -c "echo $@ | ck-launch-session" -- :1
fi
Hope it helps. (FWIW, you could run `xgame xfce-session` or whatever it is)
souvik1997 wrote:
Umm, are you trying to start a new X11 session from within another X11 session?

No, a terminal.
Do you have a distro that's smart enough to manage services like /etc/init.d/gdm start?
Why do you have your default X session set to gnome if you don't have it installed? You need to change your .xinitrc file to point to startxfce4 instead of startgnome or whatever.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Why do you have your default X session set to gnome if you don't have it installed? You need to change your .xinitrc file to point to startxfce4 instead of startgnome or whatever.

I have absolutely no Idea.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours