So I've been thinking about getting a new graphics card as my 9400GT is seriously out of date. I'm looking one able to do some good gaming (Oblivion, Dragon Age II, SCII, etc), and hopefully under 200 (i'd perfer around 150).

Current system specs:
Asrock P67 Extreme4
Intel i5 2500K (OC 4.2 GHz @ 1.3V)
Cooler Master RP-500-PCAR (500 W)
+3.3V@22A,+5V@26A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,
-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@2.5A
Nvidia GeForce 9400GT
Kingston HyperX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 (PC 12800) (9-9-9-27)
2 TB WD Green WD20EARS 5400 RPM
500 GB WD Blue WD5000AAKS 7200RPM

Yes I know my psu is old and not great but i'd rather not replace it and rewire the whole thing, but if I have to I can. I've been looking at the GTX 460 but I'm worried the PSU would not be able to handle. Suggestions?
GTX 460 is old busted, get a 6870 (~$160-170 AR)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the 460 is on the not-as-power-efficient end of the spectrum, to my understanding, and a 500Watt PSU is probably pushing it. Sad
Your PSU appears to have only 1 6-Pin PCIe connector.
You basically can't connect anything new to it - they all require 2 6pin or even 1 6pin and 1 8pin (except low-end stuff, that would still be better than what you have now).
Using an Y-connector might work, but I would take this an indication that your PSU probably isn't powerful enough, or at the very least not designed for it.
Kllrnohj wrote:
GTX 460 is old busted, get a 6870 (~$160-170 AR)
Why not a 69xx for him? Because he doesn't need as many monitors as me and they're a higher pricepoint?
harold wrote:
Your PSU appears to have only 1 6-Pin PCIe connector.
You basically can't connect anything new to it - they all require 2 6pin or even 1 6pin and 1 8pin (except low-end stuff, that would still be better than what you have now).
Using an Y-connector might work, but I would take this an indication that your PSU probably isn't powerful enough, or at the very least not designed for it.

I wouldn't, it could just be older. I'm not too familiar with the OP's specific PSU, but if it can actually deliver 500w it shouldn't have any issue with that CPU + a 6870 (which is really efficient)

KermMartian wrote:
Why not a 69xx for him? Because he doesn't need as many monitors as me and they're a higher pricepoint?

Because he said he wanted under $200. The cheapest 1GB 6950 is still $210 AR, which is ~$40-50 more than a 6870.
Thanks, I'll take a look at the 6870. My psu is indeed older (got around '07), will using the adapter from the 4 pin cables make any difference/be a problem? Also any reccomendations for a new power supply in case I do decide to upgrade?
BuckeyeDude wrote:
Thanks, I'll take a look at the 6870. My psu is indeed older (got around '07), will using the adapter from the 4 pin cables make any difference/be a problem? Also any reccomendations for a new power supply in case I do decide to upgrade?
If you merge two molexes into a 4-pin power connector with an adapter, you're using something that's likely designed with less power draw in mind than dedicated 4-pin cables (actually, we're talking about 8- and 6- here, but calling them 4- and 3- for the number of columns they have).
BuckeyeDude wrote:

It almost never matters since most PSUs are single rail anyway (meaning all 12v leads connect to the same output on the PSU).

As for a recommended PSU, I'd suggest this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours