Hey all,

Just wanted to post this up and see if anyone else had noticed this problem or was able to replicate it. If so, I'd love some support on the issue if you would be willing to post a comment on the issue and star it.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=77624
http://www.swivelgames.com/files/source/chromiumbug_recreation/chromium_issue.html

Code:
Chrome Version       : Google Chrome 10.0.648.204 (Build 79063)
URLs (if applicable) : http://www.swivelgames.com/files/source/chromiumbug_recreation/chromium_issue.html
Other browsers tested:
     Safari 5: FAIL
    Firefox 4: OK
         IE 8: OK

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Open URL supplied, or attachment, in browser
2. Click editable DIV ("Here's some content...")
3. Type
4. Repeat step 3 until the bolded text changes.

What is the expected result?
> The counter should increase every time a key
> is pressed while the DIV is in focus.

What happens instead?
> The first keypress is ignored. Every time after
> the first key is pressed, the span is updated.

EDIT
I forgot to mention that I found a band-aid workaround for this issue a couple of hours ago. I just felt the need to submit it because it seemed abnormal and not by-design. By using focus() after making contentEditable `true`, Chromium notices the first event.

http://www.swivelgames.com/files/source/chromiumbug_recreation/chromium_issue_bandaid.html
Cool story.
That's weird and broken, and that kind of issue keeps be from using Chrome. Sad I hope you'll let us know what happens with it.
It happens in Safari as well, so I assume it's just a webkit problem?

Also, I found another weird bug. When you press Shift+Enter, Enter it ignores the second enter. I have a function to return false on Enter and it creates a new line if I hit Shift+Enter, Enter. It also practically crashes Safari 5! (just tried it out). a webkit browsers Sad
swivelgames wrote:
It happens in Safari as well, so I assume it's just a webkit problem?

Also, I found another weird bug. When you press Shift+Enter, Enter it ignores the second enter. I have a function to return false on Enter and it creates a new line if I hit Shift+Enter, Enter. It also practically crashes Safari 5! (just tried it out). a webkit browsers Sad
Does that same Shift+Enter problem occur on facebook? After all, you can use shift+enter to create a new line, I just did a few lines in succession. Maybe it's a bug with your website?
comicIDIOT, on facebook that's by design.

You should note that what you're typing in on facebook is entirely different then a contenteditable DIV or the like. Facebook uses textareas, they're not interested in WYSIWYGs or user-formatted comments. It's not my website, because I've tried countless ways of reproducing it. For some reason, it seems as though webkit browsers just don't listen for the first event on a contenteditable box.

My original fix for the first problem was to make sure the browser had focus on the DIV before returning false, and that worked. However, I haven't found a work around just yet for the Shift+Enter problem.

The problem is also not just Shift+Enter, but Shift+Enter, Enter. Picture like a DDoS attack, only not. You're pestering the browser with too many events and it can't handle it. The problem is, the events that it's ignoring do not to be spaced closely.
Yay for engine quirks adding unneeded spices to the chili of web design.

It's certainly a bizarre bug but, personally, I'm not concerned by it.
Well, it's breaking my page.
You couldn't listen for the keystrokes, return false, and manually add the newlines in your contenteditable div?
swivelgames wrote:

So submit a patch upstream that fixes the problem :p

You seem to have already found a workaround - so what's the problem?
Kllrnohj wrote:
swivelgames wrote:

So submit a patch upstream that fixes the problem :p

Agreed, sounds like a WebKit problem to me.
Did you try diving into the source trunk to see if you can find the issue, Swivelgames?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours