Can you create a fun arcade game with a high replay value in TI-BASIC? (if you're not Kerm!)
Yes!
 73%  [ 11 ]
Yes, but it takes too long to code.
 6%  [ 1 ]
Yes, but the filesize is enormous.
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but the speed sucks.
 6%  [ 1 ]
Maybe.
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

hmmm and now that Doors CS has the awesome DCSlibs hybrid basic is now even more powerful than ever and there are possibly less limitations (?) than before.
0rac343 wrote:
hmmm and now that Doors CS has the awesome DCSlibs hybrid basic is now even more powerful than ever and there are possibly less limitations (?) than before.
"fewer limitations", but close enough. Smile "Fewer" is for things you can count discretely: fewer mice, fewer calculators, fewer pieces of flair. Less is for things you cannot count discretely: less water, less pain, less imagination, less traffic, less oxygen.
okay thanks Kerm. And now with the gCn and calcnet working its now even possible to link calculators over a larger distance than a really long cable. If I had to say, you really have extended to what we programmers can do with a calculator.
0rac343 wrote:
okay thanks Kerm. And now with the gCn and calcnet working its now even possible to link calculators over a larger distance than a really long cable. If I had to say, you really have extended to what we programmers can do with a calculator.
Well thank you, sir! That's always been my overarching goal with my calculator programming: to let calculators do more, to challenge the notation that a simple device can only do simple things. Smile
In regards to how good these games can get:

If you have a storyline and can immerse the player to a point where you can't put it down, that's a good game. Graphics mean nothing compared to this fact.
Raylin wrote:
In regards to how good these games can get:

If you have a storyline and can immerse the player to a point where you can't put it down, that's a good game. Graphics mean nothing compared to this fact.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that count. I think graphics are vital to good immersion in a TI-BASIC game, even if they're just a homescreen scrolling tilemapper. That's not to say you can't create an engaging, immersive text-only game, I just feel it's much harder.
Well, Kerm, I'm talking about the actual graphics (like text sprites and the like). My mindset was on ASCII characters when I said that. Razz
Raylin wrote:
Well, Kerm, I'm talking about the actual graphics (like text sprites and the like). My mindset was on ASCII characters when I said that. Razz
So you would agree then that ASCII art/ maps/ gameplay would go a long way towards making an immersive game?
c.sprinkle wrote:
There are many TI-BASIC arcade games on ticalc.org. This topic is dedicated to finding those programs which show just what good BASIC programming can do. If you have a good program, tell us. Help show other users how they ca make a truly fun BASIC game.

I never had much luck on ti-calc. I always dowload something that does not work. Are there any games that you would liek to see. I would love to program an arcade game after I finish build and defend your civilization or whatever I name it.
basicman wrote:
c.sprinkle wrote:
There are many TI-BASIC arcade games on ticalc.org. This topic is dedicated to finding those programs which show just what good BASIC programming can do. If you have a good program, tell us. Help show other users how they ca make a truly fun BASIC game.

I never had much luck on ti-calc. I always dowload something that does not work. Are there any games that you would liek to see. I would love to program an arcade game after I finish build and defend your civilization or whatever I name it.
I can't think of anything off the top of my head; anything that interests you?
basicman wrote:
c.sprinkle wrote:

You could make something like an RPG or a platformer game like Mario. Smile
Those are always fun. I'm trying to think of classic arcade games that haven't really been made for TI calculators. One thing that I would absolutely love to do myself is some kind of Tron/Armagetron game, either top-down or (and this would be technically challenging) 3D.
Quote:
You could make something like an RPG or a platformer game like Mario. Smile

I do have a mario game in progress. It starts like this. Of course there is a sprite on the screen. I do not have other screen shots at the moment, but it does have a really good imitation of mario as a sprite, and I was able to use duck sprites and even plants. I could start back on that one. Especially since people say it can not be done.
That looks quite nice, you should start a thread about it.
Quote:
Especially since people say it can not be done.

It can be done, the question is how well it can be done. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Those are always fun. I'm trying to think of classic arcade games that haven't really been made for TI calculators. One thing that I would absolutely love to do myself is some kind of Tron/Armagetron game, either top-down or (and this would be technically challenging) 3D.

Those are some good ideas. Ill look into them.
KermMartian wrote:
0rac343 wrote:
Well thank you, sir! That's always been my overarching goal with my calculator programming: to let calculators do more, to challenge the notation that a simple device can only do simple things. Smile

*notion

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 4 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours