ACagliano wrote:
@ nemo: If you were new to programming of any form and posted a question, would you rather be hit with a link, or given a personalized explanation?
The issue is that much of programming is learning how to solve problems not have others solve them for you. Eventually you will have to learn how to find answers yourself and users do eventually burn out from helping the new programmers day in and day out in place of getting their own work done.
Here's my opinion on it. Many people don't like cemetech for whatever reason. Many people don't like omnimaga for whatever reason. These are Kerm and DJ's sites. If you think you can make a better one, then go for it. Just make sure you have a set set of rules and just go for it. Hey, we like new groups inside the community.
But see, that's the thing. We are in a community. We are a group of people that share the same interests. Each site has a different way of doing things.
On cemetech, they basically make you smarter by expecting this level. It's basically that they help you by making you help yourselves, and not babysitting you like a child. I truly think they try to balance that out as best they can.
On Omnimaga, they want to help you too, but they choose to do it in a different way. Sure, they might like to play games and stuff, but they also have a somewhat friendlier atmosphere at first glance.

Either way, both communities have something in common. We are a group of people that are separate, but one. And we won't let something as silly as a flame war get us down. We will stand united.
TheStorm wrote:
ACagliano wrote:
@ nemo: If you were new to programming of any form and posted a question, would you rather be hit with a link, or given a personalized explanation?
The issue is that much of programming is learning how to solve problems not have others solve them for you. Eventually you will have to learn how to find answers yourself and users do eventually burn out from helping the new programmers day in and day out in place of getting their own work done.

Granted. But, it is nice to know that if you ever have a question, or if after reading something, you don't quite grasp it, you can ask someone to explain it to you. And that is something that is great about both Cemetech and Omnimaga. I know that I can come on here and ask Kerm Martian a question about DCS7 or about custom interrupts, and provided he isn't swamped, he will usually answer me right away, then he will make sure that I understand what he said. DJ is the same way. Now, I can't reasonably expect everyone to be that helpful ALL the time. But it is a welcoming feeling. And there are individuals on both sites who give that welcoming vibe.
SirC, I sometimes get that general vibe from Omni towards cemetech, but I really don't mind. [/no offense just opinion, don't hurt me D:]

On the other hand, I feel in the middle, I go on both sites, I enjoy, end of story.
graphmastur wrote:
Here's my opinion on it. Many people don't like cemetech for whatever reason. Many people don't like omnimaga for whatever reason. These are Kerm and DJ's sites. If you think you can make a better one, then go for it. Just make sure you have a set set of rules and just go for it. Hey, we like new groups inside the community.
But see, that's the thing. We are in a community. We are a group of people that share the same interests. Each site has a different way of doing things.
On cemetech, they basically make you smarter by expecting this level. It's basically that they help you by making you help yourselves, and not babysitting you like a child. I truly think they try to balance that out as best they can.
On Omnimaga, they want to help you too, but they choose to do it in a different way. Sure, they might like to play games and stuff, but they also have a somewhat friendlier atmosphere at first glance.

Either way, both communities have something in common. We are a group of people that are separate, but one. And we won't let something as silly as a flame war get us down. We will stand united.
Also I think we need at least two different kind of TI board. Some users will not like one place while others won't like the other. Everyone has their own preferences. I don't think we need even more boards, though, unless you really find a new idea, because it would split the community too much. There are like 5-10 small 100-200 posts forums out there.
qazz42 wrote:
don't hurt me D:

I want to apologize for coming across that I would retaliate against you for anything you write in a post.
Razz thanks, just want to be sure >.>
Sorry to necropost, but I felt this was related and I did not want to hijack c.sprinkle topic, but I would like explanations from the following comment at http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125314#125314

KermMartian wrote:
It was made clear to me by SirCmpwn via Kevin that the next time I happened to put a toe out of line at Omnimaga that bothered SirCmpwn, that I would be banned; apparently the administration of the site trusts him with such power. I didn't want to deal with that level of unprofessionalism and lack of respect for my time and seiority in the community, so I stopped visiting. But I'm getting offtopic.

C.sprinkle, you mentioned that you were having some coding difficulties?
I do remember Sir telling me he talked to you about an issue I PMed you about a few months ago, but I do NOT remember saying anything to SirCmpwn implying that if you did something that annoyed him again you would get banned.

I suspect that this apparent comment by me was made up from something I told him regarding this thread. I warned him for starting a Our Current Problem thread on Omnimaga because we were not involved and that we will only do something if someone comes on our forum and break our rules. I bet that either he told you this and you misinterpreted it as a ban threat from him if you only do one little wrong thing, EITHER he misinterpreted it himself and told you this OR it is a fight starting attempt by you or him.

As for the ban, I have never heard about a possible ban on you and if I learn that a staff banned someone without admin consent (except for spammers) the ban would be undone and staff warned, anyway, so I do not really appreciate Omnimaga as a whole to be labelled as a lack of unprofessionalism and respect towards your seniority in the TI community just because of ONE staff, because of something that might not even be true, jumping to the conclusion that the team approves it.

I do not really care anymore what is being said in my back anywhere, if anything, regardless of if it's online or in real life, I do not care if what SirCmpwn said about someone saying the word "omninoob" is true or not (Sir was warned for bringning up the issue on Omni, anyway, since it was a fight starter in which we were not involved) but I certainly do NOT appreciate when people MODIFY things I said or even INVENT them then go tell others that I said that.

I do not know if it's Sir who told you these things you said about us or if it's you who are making them up, but it is not the first time that someone makes things up about me or something I said over here. I like Cemetech because of the community in general, the activity and the projects, I only got less active because of the Christmas rush at work, but if I discover that things like this happens again, you will only see me around anymore for Doors CS7/SourceCoder 2.5 suggestions and bug reports. I certainly do not appreciate when we make things up on my person or stuff I or my community did.

Note, I was planning to catch up on new posts Saturday or Sunday, but I sometimes lurk as well when I have time to check topics but not to post, so I can reply faster later, and I couldn't resist to reply to your message.
I didn't see this comment my KermMartian until just now, and it is inappropriate. Do you not think I have the maturity and self control to just have a discussion when I'm bothered by something you've done? In the past, I certainly have. And I don't have the kind of power you seem to believe I have, nor have I ever suggested or felt the need to ban you. I respect your seniority and experience, but they are not excuses for some of the comments you make, and I have always brought up my issues in a civil, respectful manner.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
I do remember Sir telling me he talked to you about an issue I PMed you about a few months ago, but I do NOT remember saying anything to SirCmpwn implying that if you did something that annoyed him again you would get banned.

Code:
Session Start (kermmartian@ * .com:sircmpwn@ * .com): Mon Sep 06 23:08:08 2010 -0400
[...]
[23:26:25] sircmpwn@ * .com: you should also know that you are on the edge right now with the omni admins
[23:26:42] sircmpwn@ * .com: any mention of you advertising another site, whether or not you agree, will result in a temporary ban
[23:27:46] Christopher: edge of what?
[...]
[23:29:24] Christopher: should I consider that a threat?

Quote:
so I do not really appreciate Omnimaga as a whole to be labelled as a lack of unprofessionalism and respect towards your seniority in the TI community just because of ONE staff, because of something that might not even be true, jumping to the conclusion that the team approves it.
Don't misunderstand me, I find the admin staff in general, especially yourself, to be mature and effective. I was voicing my repeated negative interactions with one staff member.

I don't really want to get into this whole debate again, though. My complaint was with an individual that made my visits to Omnimaga a stressful and unpleasant experience, including claiming that I didn't post any Doors CS updates all summer when in fact I cross-posted every single major and minor beta release, and the post was in fact a re-hashing of that reason for a user inquiring about me visiting Omnimaga from a 2+ month-old incident, not a complaint about a current situation.

Hope that clears things up.
KermMartian wrote:

Code:
Session Start (kermmartian@ * .com:sircmpwn@ * .com): Mon Sep 06 23:08:08 2010 -0400
[...]
[23:26:25] sircmpwn@ * .com: you should also know that you are on the edge right now with the omni admins
[23:26:42] sircmpwn@ * .com: any mention of you advertising another site, whether or not you agree, will result in a temporary ban
[...]

Thank you for pointing this out. I was saying this as more of a friendly warning than anything else, and not trying to imply that I was involved. I just wanted to tell you the vibe I got from those in power. I will be more careful with what I say in the future as to not cause more confusion.
KermMartian wrote:

Code:
[...]
[...]
Sir is wrong, there. You're not on edge with the admins now. Yes there was an advertising matter at the time this message was posted, but it was solved and it's still possible to advertise in certain ways anyway (such as Doors updates). In any case, regardless of if you got warned or not for something, it doesn't mean you are not welcome anymore and none of the staff have the right to attempt at making you feel unwelcome. That said, I am happy that your quote is from a few months ago, though, I got worried this happened recently, although I cannot do much if it happens outside Omni.

Quote:
Don't misunderstand me, I find the admin staff in general, especially yourself, to be mature and effective. I was voicing my repeated negative interactions with one staff member.

I don't really want to get into this whole debate again, though. My complaint was with an individual that made my visits to Omnimaga a stressful and unpleasant experience, including claiming that I didn't post any Doors CS updates all summer when in fact I cross-posted every single major and minor beta release, and the post was in fact a re-hashing of that reason for a user inquiring about me visiting Omnimaga from a 2+ month-old incident, not a complaint about a current situation.

Hope that clears things up.
Right, sorry then. I guess I didn't get the message right. It is my goal and Omnimaga staff goal to make sure people are welcomed on the site when they visit, so that they want to visit again.

The claim about you never posting on Omni and never cross-posting DCS7 updates there is totally wrong. I don't know if it's because Sir was grounded most of the time, but pretty much everytime Doors was updated, you cross-posted it on Omni, plus you had 100 posts there in a few months, which is a lot considering you have an entire site+server to manage and unlike me, you have a bunch of major projects to maintain and a lot more of real-life stuff.

Anyway I'm glad what Sir said is not too recent. I was worried there were things going on since that thread was unnecessarily cross-posted on Omni last month.
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Sir is wrong, there. You're not on edge with the admins now. Yes there was an advertising matter at the time this message was posted, but it was solved and it's still possible to advertise in certain ways anyway (such as Doors updates). In any case, regardless of if you got warned or not for something, it doesn't mean you are not welcome anymore and none of the staff have the right to attempt at making you feel unwelcome.
Thank you, I appreciate you saying that, and I'm glad to hear it. I'll carry on posting updates of my projects on Omnimaga as much as I can, then, although of course (as you correctly note) real life is weighing extremely heavily on me right now, from relationship things to final exams to final projects.
Of course, at the moment, there is no grudge whatsoever with Omnimaga at this time. That log is quite dated, back during a time when it was relevant and true. I just want to make sure that no one thinks that I'm beating a dead horse here, I was just trying to be supportive of KermMartian.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours