KermMartian wrote:
Brightness != color temperature. Brightness = backlight intensity; color temperature = bias towards blue or orange (as you probably know).

Fair enough, but the intent (to make your screen adapt to lighting conditions and be less painful to your eyes) is the same.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Maybe a visual representation will help?

No, because the problem is you suck at reading. What part of "it doesn't fucking work" wasn't clear?

Although I think the problem comes in that I change the brightness manually while on battery, then when I plug it in nothing happens. I expect the A/C profile to take over and reset the brightness to what I specified for that profile. But alas, it doesn't.

Quote:
A company as successful as Apple wouldn't be continuing OS X if the operating system sucks. Errors in operation are either a result of the user or a result of a program. From my computer experience, I have not been able to trace any problem to the operating system. Recently, I had LR3 lockup because CS4 had a memory error (my fault for too many programs running) when loading the photos and as a result my, and any, open LR3 catalogue corrupted until I restarted my laptop (to essentially delete any temp files that may have existed). The reason why LR3 was affected is entirely unimportant and not something you'd assume and try to falsely tie to OS X anyways.

OS X *ISN'T* that successful. iPod and iPhone are successful. You've already been brainwashed beyond belief if you think an OS lockup is ever the user's fault (lol @ "too many programs running").

Also, Apple is one of those companies that refuses to alter previous decisions. Heck, look how long they stuck with PowerPC. They are stubborn beyond belief.

Quote:
It's not pointless. Of course, we're all ethically diverse, but I don't hate someone because of what I've heard and read - I don't draw my opinions from others of others, as I think it's a rather low level of social living.

What? I've been *USING* OS X for the past month. My opinions on how crappy it is comes from actually using it. I'm really not getting what you're trying to say.

Quote:
The bold text above, I'm not getting it. I'm connected to every *available* access point at school, and I've had plenty of cases where I walked from access point to another and OS X was able to connect. Not seamlessly, but it connected to the other after searching for other available and known points.

It never does for me. What usually happens is this. I'll resume the laptop, realize a forgot to turn on wifi tethering on my phone, and then log in to OS X. OS X will then helpfully prevent a tiny dialog that asks what AP I want to connect to. I'll see the AP show up in the list, but the system doesn't connect to it automatically. If I dismiss the dialog and click on the wifi icon, again, I'll see it in the list, but the system doesn't automatically connect. Both Ubuntu and Windows will, I have no idea why OS X doesn't.

Quote:
Wow. Now, I'm mocking your "anger" here more than anything else. So, Safari or Chrome require MUCH MORE than 12 threads a piece? Since, after all, they are they most demanding thing you're asking OS X to run and the least demanding seems to be 12 Threads.

Demanding != number of threads. A program with 100 threads isn't necessarily more demanding than a program with 2 threads. Not to mention since Chrome does the whole "one process per tab" thing, it isn't very hard to get 12 threads from Chrome.

Quote:
Well, that's your problem. Apparently Chrome creates 36 threads and Make (capitalized, since it's a Proper Noun in this case) requires 12 threads. As far as I understand by what I've been told by you and several others, one core can handle one thread. Hyper-threading allows two threads to run on a single core.

Now, the MBP uses an Intel Core 2 Duo. Which can either be an i5 or i7. Again, as far as I understand the i7 is the only hyper-threading capable of the series so far. So, even if you were to have an i7 in that MBP of yours, you'd only be able to manage 4 threads. So, on Windows you try running 36+ threads through a Dual Core i7 and tell me if Windows doesn't lock up.

"make" is the command, not Make.

Also, one of the most important jobs of an OS is to handle threads and to intelligently switch between them. Neither Linux nor Windows has *ANY* problems with 36+ threads. Hell, right now Windows is managing 929 threads across 75 processes, but the system is idle (0% CPU usage) and perfectly responsive.

Methinks you don't understand how a computer works.

Quote:
I've never had any issues when using the back button. Besides, why use the back button when you have Column View; which is way more efficient as you can jump back 2 or 3 folders (on the small monitors) at a time, or look at the files in a folder while also viewing the folders/files in that folders parent folder (/Parent/Folder/ & /Parent/, respectively)

Because column view sucks because a list of folders sucks.

Quote:
Have you installed any kernel extensions? The only times in a decade of using OS X that I've had it hard freeze was with third party kexts.

Not that I know of, but it's running a company installed image so that is possible.

Quote:
Go whine to Adobe, the same thing happens in Linux.

No, it is 100% Apple's fault that the cooling system is inadequate. It was Apple's decision to put hardware that generates a lot of heat into a case that couldn't even handle an Intel Atom. It was then 100% Apple's decision to make the case into a giant heat sink - a heat sink that will easily get to 100F+

A ThinkPad running Linux can watch Youtube videos just fine without a screaming fan or a scorching hot keyboard. Hell, my Asus with an Intel CULV barely even needs to spin the fan up.

Quote:
a. I've kept an OS X computer at 100% CPU utilization for 4 days straight (with 16 threads in a single program traversing a 12GB graph datastructure) and Finder was still useable.

Was there supposed to be a "b."?

I'm also running full disk encryption, not sure if that's causing problems. It shouldn't, because the MBP I've got has an SSD, so disk I/O should still be higher than a mechanical drive even with encryption overhead.

Quote:

what are you ranting about? The back button does EXACTLY what it claims to do: it goes back a directory - not up a directory unless the last directory you were in was the parent.

Not always. I'm not sure why, but Finder always seems to get confused and completely screws up the history. So crap like this happens:

a. go to folder 1
b. go to folder 2
c. go to folder 3
d. hit back
e. end up folder 1 (or some other random folder in my history)

It is the most annoying thing ever.

Well, second most annoying thing. The most annoying is that hitting enter on a selected item renames it. I *hate* that. I've gotten so used to rapidly navigating folders by typing the folder name and hitting enter. The first part works in Finder. The second starts renaming the file. wtf? Why the hell does "enter" mean "rename"?
Just because I enjoy playing the statistics game, I have 775 threads in 61 processes managing 20,451 handles with 6.2GB of my 8GB of RAM available, and the CPU ticking over around 2%, mostly because I'm listening to music and browsing quite a few AJAX-heavy websites.
Kllrnohj wrote:
It never does for me. What usually happens is this. I'll resume the laptop, realize a forgot to turn on wifi tethering on my phone, and then log in to OS X. OS X will then helpfully prevent a tiny dialog that asks what AP I want to connect to. I'll see the AP show up in the list, but the system doesn't connect to it automatically. If I dismiss the dialog and click on the wifi icon, again, I'll see it in the list, but the system doesn't automatically connect. Both Ubuntu and Windows will, I have no idea why OS X doesn't.

Go to Network Preferences, click the "Advanced" button for AirPort, and make sure "Remember networks this computer has joined" is checked (and that your phone is in the list of preferred networks).

Quote:
Also, one of the most important jobs of an OS is to handle threads and to intelligently switch between them. Neither Linux nor Windows has *ANY* problems with 36+ threads. Hell, right now Windows is managing 929 threads across 75 processes, but the system is idle (0% CPU usage) and perfectly responsive.

And just for the record, neither does OS X. I'm at 301 threads across 56 processes, and 89% idle (Firefox's flash plugin being the other 11%).

Quote:
No, it is 100% Apple's fault that the cooling system is inadequate. It was Apple's decision to put hardware that generates a lot of heat into a case that couldn't even handle an Intel Atom. It was then 100% Apple's decision to make the case into a giant heat sink - a heat sink that will easily get to 100F+

165F for example. Doesn't really bother me, since most of the laptops I've used that have semi-reasonable graphics cards get hot like that, and I just keep it off my lap and let the aluminum do its job dissipating heat. Have you considered switching to low power graphics mode? That keeps things at a reasonable temperature when you're not gaming/CADing/whatever and aren't using the CPU full bore.

Quote:

Was there supposed to be a "b."?

No, just less auto-filtering.

Quote:
Not always. I'm not sure why, but Finder always seems to get confused and completely screws up the history. So crap like this happens:

a. go to folder 1
b. go to folder 2
c. go to folder 3
d. hit back
e. end up folder 1 (or some other random folder in my history)

It is the most annoying thing ever.

I guess I haven't play around with anything but column mode enough to be really sure (I find anything else to be stupidly inefficient), but the fact that i a decade of using OS X I haven't seen that suggests to me (along with the hard freezes) that your OS X install is running some sort of broken low level software that is messing something up....maybe a bad InputManager or kernel extension, I don't know.

Quote:
Well, second most annoying thing. The most annoying is that hitting enter on a selected item renames it. I *hate* that. I've gotten so used to rapidly navigating folders by typing the folder name and hitting enter. The first part works in Finder. The second starts renaming the file. wtf? Why the hell does "enter" mean "rename"?

Because people who are used to the Finder would poop bricks if it didn't mean that. Command-o, or switch to column view and use the right arrow.
elfprince13 wrote:
Go to Network Preferences, click the "Advanced" button for AirPort, and make sure "Remember networks this computer has joined" is checked (and that your phone is in the list of preferred networks).

It is, and it will automatically connected to it if a wake the laptop after the network is available. The problem comes in that it doesn't automatically connect if the network becomes available AFTER I woke the laptop. So annoying, especially since the dialog is so freaking small and a PIA to use when you've got about 15 APs visible.

Quote:
165F for example. Doesn't really bother me, since most of the laptops I've used that have semi-reasonable graphics cards get hot like that, and I just keep it off my lap and let the aluminum do its job dissipating heat. Have you considered switching to low power graphics mode? That keeps things at a reasonable temperature when you're not gaming/CADing/whatever and aren't using the CPU full bore.

The problem is the aluminum is dissipating the heat INTO MY HAND. That is completely unacceptable and I have never come across any laptop that gets anywhere close to as hot as this MBP does. Hell, I had a Lenovo with an ATI FireGL mobile card and a desktop Core 2 Duo crammed into a 15" laptop. The heat coming out of the vents was insane, but the keyboard was only maybe 10F hotter than ambient while gaming. This MBP keyboard area easily hits 20F+ above ambient after a 15 minute youtube video

Quote:
Because people who are used to the Finder would poop bricks if it didn't mean that. Command-o, or switch to column view and use the right arrow.

Which is a *HUGE* problem with Apple and OS X. They refuse to admit when they are wrong and refuse to fix broken designs.

Seriously though, the next person who tries to tell me that OS X "just works" or is "user friendly" is getting throat punched. It is neither of those, not even close. It was nice when I plugged in my printer and could print to it straight away, but it was idiotic that the OS didn't acknowledge at all that I had just plugged in a new device and that is was ready to go. I plugged it in and nothing appeared to happen - that is not user friendly at all.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Seriously though, the next person who tries to tell me that OS X "just works" or is "user friendly" is getting throat punched. It is neither of those, not even close.
I'll be second in line right behind you to help out with that. I was forced to use OS X on the presentation computer when teaching my Intro to Java and Advanced Java classes, and pretty much everything was frustratingly non-intuitive. Granted, I'm a Windows/Linux user, but there's certain standards of interface design that just make sense, and which Apple studiously avoids.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours