As I've mentioned on IRC among other places I run Arch Linux PPC on my Wii. In fact I was the first and most likely one of the only people to do so. I have only encountered a few other people who have used the Wii Tutorial me and another enthusiast wrote when I first got things working.

While I haven't had a large amount of time to devote to this little pet project I have managed to keep it in a fairly working state and with some help from kth5 and danimoth the main Arch Linux PPC devs the xf86-video-cube driver is now in the official Arch Linux PPC repositories. MY current issue is how stale the kernel has gotten, recently and I plan on fixing that in the near future but that also requires a fair bit of testing and kernel compiling until I have a setup that works.

To help me with this I recently purchased a Dual 2Ghz G5 PowerMac to help with the compiling as well as to have something that isn't x86 to mess around with. The Dual G5 should make much quicker work of any software for the Wii I need including the kernel.

I'll be using this thread to post progress and such, if ya'll don't mind that is.
Epic, I'm glad that you finally got around to posting a topic here, Jonimus! It's certainly a very interesting project, and I think the PPC still has wide applicability, even though it's not available in any consumer computer anymore. I look forward to seeing your updates in this topic.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours