Yaay! my USB cable arrived. I am happy that it came so fast.
Anyways...When i was waiting for the cable to come, i had already put USB8x as well as msd8x on my calc and i had organized all my programs/apps onto my usb drive. The first thing i did when i got home was that i plugged the drive in and transfered some files back and forth.
My USB drive was not supported, so I had to go thru the apps menu rather than it popping up on its own.
more to come...i'm gonna do some more research on this.
Your drive's supposed (because it works), it's just that no one has sent me that particular model (vendor/product ID) before.
brandonw wrote:
Your drive's supposed (because it works), it's just that no one has sent me that particular model (vendor/product ID) before.

i'm not sure what you are trying to say.

UPDATE: well, i was able to transfer some files that TI-connect wouldn't let me transfer such as chopper and Dancer 3. I wish that i could transfer larger files such as apps. i tried to send over notefolio, but it didn't work.
Yah. any file with an 8XK extension cannot transfer back and forth
i'm also happy of the fact that i can look at txt files. i know it was already possible, but i didn't feel like putting them on my calc through ti connect. Now i can (almost) completely ignore ticonnect! yaaay.
Thumbs up for transfering files on the go! Good Idea Good Idea
clementop wrote:
brandonw wrote:

i'm not sure what you are trying to say.

UPDATE: well, i was able to transfer some files that TI-connect wouldn't let me transfer such as chopper and Dancer 3. I wish that i could transfer larger files such as apps. i tried to send over notefolio, but it didn't work.
Yah. any file with an 8XK extension cannot transfer back and forth
i'm also happy of the fact that i can look at txt files. i know it was already possible, but i didn't feel like putting them on my calc through ti connect. Now i can (almost) completely ignore ticonnect! yaaay.
Thumbs up for transfering files on the go! Good Idea Good Idea

What he means is send him the vendor /product ID of your thumb drive so he can add it to the list in the header of MSD8x
Sorry, I meant to say "Your drive's supported", bad typo.

Yeah, if you send me the vendor/product ID (you can get this out of Device Manager on Windows, or USBTools from usb8x.sf.net) and I can add it to msd8x so it'll auto-launch like that.

There's a beta version thingy somewhere in brandonw.net/calcstuff that lets you transfer one-page apps. I honestly don't remember which zip it is, but it's one with both usb8x and msd8x in it (both required).
MSD8xNew.zip is what it is called.
brandonw wrote:
Sorry, I meant to say "Your drive's supported", bad typo.

Yeah, if you send me the vendor/product ID (you can get this out of Device Manager on Windows, or USBTools from usb8x.sf.net) and I can add it to msd8x so it'll auto-launch like that.

There's a beta version thingy somewhere in brandonw.net/calcstuff that lets you transfer one-page apps. I honestly don't remember which zip it is, but it's one with both usb8x and msd8x in it (both required).

Ok i guess I sent you the wrong information by PM, i'll get the right info as soon as i can get my hands on my PC.

[quote="TheStorm]MSD8xNew.zip is what it is called[/quote]
Thank you. I'll try this out.

What is a one-page app? You also mentioned it in your readme for MSD8xNew. maybe you could define it in the readme. =/
A one-page app is any application taking precisely 16k. Each app page is 16k, so for example the 32k Doors CS is a 2-page app, etc.
KermMartian wrote:
A one-page app is any application taking precisely 16k. Each app page is 16k, so for example the 32k Doors CS is a 2-page app, etc.

ooooh ok i get it. That makes sense. i always wondered why some apps where twice as abig as others.

another update: i'm adding on to the Basic Mouse Demo sample code to make a quasi-OS. i'm really excited about this. i'm going to try the keyboard now.
And just to clarify for those who are confused, apps can only take multiples of one page. An app with 204 bytes of actual code takes 16k, one with 13k of code takes 16k, and one with 17k of code takes 32k.
@Kerm. you have probably thought about this a bit, but it would be cool if you could add mouse and/or keyboard operation with DCS. I think it would be a nice addition to play with.
KermMartian wrote:
A one-page app is any application taking precisely 16k.
16384 bytes to be exact, IIRC. Cool
clementop wrote:
@Kerm. you have probably thought about this a bit, but it would be cool if you could add mouse and/or keyboard operation with DCS. I think it would be a nice addition to play with.
Definitely; I've had that in mind for a while, but I've never quite gotten around to it.
JoostinOnline wrote:

Thank you for reminding us how many bytes are in 16kb. You can do basic math, congratulations Rolling Eyes
Kllrnohj wrote:
JoostinOnline wrote:

Thank you for reminding us how many bytes are in 16kb. You can do basic math, congratulations Rolling Eyes
Ah, there it is, I knew we'd run into some Kllrnohj sarcasm eventually.
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, there it is, I knew we'd run into some Kllrnohj sarcasm eventually.

I didn't want to disappoint Wink
How would you make the cable? I tried to do it, but it's not working.
What I used was a USB extension cable (female end) and a digital camera cable.
I stripped the ends of the wires, twisted the same colors together, and covered each one with electrical tape.
For the record, I've already tried buying one...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Emerge-Tech-3-USB-2.0-Universal-Cable-Kit/12575355
darl181 wrote:
How would you make the cable? I tried to do it, but it's not working.
What I used was a USB extension cable (female end) and a digital camera cable.
I stripped the ends of the wires, twisted the same colors together, and covered each one with electrical tape.
For the record, I've already tried buying one...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Emerge-Tech-3-USB-2.0-Universal-Cable-Kit/12575355
Welcome to Cemetech! You should have needed to connect four wires plus the shield, correct? Can you be more specific about in what way it doesn't work?
MSD8X gives me error 0C00. Every time. It just doesn't detect.
And BrandonW's most recent USB8X version says E 3115.
"The shield" ...do I have to cover the whole thing?
Right now I just have the individual wires covered with electrical tape.
darl181 wrote:
MSD8X gives me error 0C00. Every time. It just doesn't detect.
And BrandonW's most recent USB8X version says E 3115.
"The shield" ...do I have to cover the whole thing?
Right now I just have the individual wires covered with electrical tape.
The shield, the silver braided thing covering the inner wires, doesn't need to be around any of the individual spices. Just make sure you connect the shield from one wire to the shield of the other. Did you try a mouse with USB8x's demo application in case the problem is just an incompatible flash drive?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours