xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
I did, in face I quad-booted, but I moved those to a partitioned flash drive. I have ubuntu left on my computer, but alas it had those sound issues, and still does.

Edit: downloaded and installed Realtek driver from their website with no effect.
Ah, sorry to hear it. Sad What therefore are your remaining options?
benryves wrote:
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
All OS's after Vista disabled the Stereo mix recording option to combat piracy.
Do you have a source for that? The "stereo mix" recording device is offered by the sound card drivers (hence the hideous "What U Hear" name on Creative cards). Whether it's there or not is down to your drivers, not Windows itself.
On a music creation forum I used to run, someone brought that up as well. I was shocked to hear that. However, he never brought up any source, so I never got to know if it was true or not.

I got the same problem as the topic starter when I got a new PC. I searched Google for solutions and was told to try to force the option, but no sound would be inputted while recording. My sound card probably doesn't support such recording.

I use a very old music creation software that I love for most of my music that requires me to use such option. Because of this, I was forced to stick to my older computer to produce music, as it has the Stereo mix option. I finally discovered that Fraps video recorder causes no slow down during recording with the old music software I use, unlike on my old computer. Also, Fraps sound quality is pretty good, so I decided to do the following from now on, but Fraps is not free, so you might have to use another software if you want to do the legit way.

-Record song with Fraps.
-Use VirtualDub to save the video audio into WAV.
-In Audacity software, with the Lame MP3 encoder, save my WAV file into MP3.

Then I got a mp3 of one of my creation.
Ah, nice tips, DJ Omnimaga. I'm glad to hear that there's a software workaround, although I'm concerned that there might be some quality loss from three (three?) conversion/transcoding steps.
In my case, to my great surprise, there was no quality loss during Fraps recording. I'm not even sure if Fraps uses any compression at all. However, it produces extremly large files. 5 minutes of 1080p HD video capture at 30 FPS was about 60 GB, if I remember.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours